1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't sart safeboot in XPpro

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by wimpietje, Aug 29, 2004.

1. wimpietje

wimpietje Member

When I start my computer and want to start XP in safe mode by pressing F8 it seems to work but before the safe mode is reached the computer restarts and comes up with the "dos" screen telling me what I want to do (last known configuration, normal start safe mode etc). When I select "normal start" xp boots normal.
    Also I tried the "/safeboot" in msconfig and this also doesn't work. This is even worse because now I'am not able to start up XP anymore.

PS: virus definitions are up to date. Also performed full system scan but no virus.
    No adware found with AD-aware SE with definitions up to date.

Can anybody help me? Xp is running well, but in future I may need safeboot.

2. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

Hi - When you talk about Safe Boot - I guess you mean Safe Mode - SafeBoot is a Hard Drive Whole Disk Encryption software.

Are you saying your PC no longer starts at all ?

You can boot from your Win XP disk and you will get to a point where it asks you to install or repair - I suggest repair might be a good option.

Phil

3. wimpietje

wimpietje Member

Hi Phil,

Thank you for your reaction. The PC starts fine, I only can't reach the Safe Mode. I've performed your suggestion with the XP boot disks and selected repair.
    In this dos-like mode I don't know how to continue. Do you have any suggestions which commands I've got to type in so in future I can start the computer in safe-mode?

4. CJC

CJC Regular member

F8 will bring up a menu when starting the computer, whereas F5 will pick Safe Mode to start off with.

Make sure that you hit F5 b4 the Windows Logo.

When does the comptuer restart, and does it say anything.

CJC

5. haymarket

haymarket Regular member

The Windows XP CD - which I guess you have.

Place it in to the PC and turn it on - you should get an option to push any kay to boot from the CD.

Push a key

Follow the instructions as though you were loading the software and you get an option to install a new OS or Repair - you need to run the repair.

I hope that works for you.

6. wimpietje

wimpietje Member

It's been a while. But thank you for your advice Phil, it worked out ok.

Greetings Wim.