1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't save email mesages; Why?

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by myrealtr, Mar 16, 2007.

1. myrealtr

myrealtr Member

I've been trying to get all of my messages from Outlook Express burned onto a CD for safe keeping because of having trouble with my that program. This is what I've been told to do by the Microsoft newsgroup help. I put everything into folders and then moved them to a desktop folder so that they could be added to the Nero software for burning. After it goes through the entire process I get a message that the process failed. I didn't write the message down nor save it but I think I remember it telling me something about the CD being full. I had put too many in it at first but then deleted a folder and when I did try to burn it I had about 500kb. I think the CDs hold a little over 700 if I'm not mistaken.
    Does anyone know what the problem could be. I'm spending so much time on trying to get the problem with Outlook Express taken care of and now I'm at a stand still until I can figure out why I can't backup my messages onto the CDs.
    Thanks for any help anyone can give me.
    Linda

2. onya

onya Guest

Reduce your burn speed by half. (32x to 16X)

3. myrealtr

myrealtr Member

Just tried to burn CD with email messages at a lower speed and got an error message immediately. It said something about not finding the right path. I'm at a loss as to what to do and I've already spent 3 days doing nothing but trying to resolve the issues with my Outlook Exprss problems. The first thing I have to do is get my messages saved somehow. I'm only saving about 500MB per CD disc so I don't think that's the problem this time. After getting the error message I checked the disc and it's still 100% free space so nothing at all was burned. Last night when I get an error message that there wasn't enough space I checked the cd and it was full but then I couldn't open it.
    I appreciate the help but as you can see I don't know much about this because I don't have a lot of time to devote to using my burners. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    Linda

4. onya

onya Guest

The method in which you add the files may have something to do with it. Are you using "drag n' drop"? or "control + D"?

5. myrealtr

myrealtr Member

I'm opening Nero and adding the message folders by using the add feature in Nero. Should I burn them to a DVD instead of a CD since the messages are data but some of them have music and pictures? I don't know enough about this to know if that makes a difference or not. To put it simply, I don't know what I'm doing right or wrong.

6. onya

onya Guest

Using a CD is fine, after all you're only making a data disk.
    Just in case we have our wires crossed... you open Nero express and then choose DATA then DATA DISC? You should be able to drag the folder containing your emails (on your desktop), directly into the open pane, the cursor looks like a little box with a + symbol within it. Is this what you see?

7. myrealtr

myrealtr Member

Okay, Now it's somthing else. I checked the CD which showed that it does have the email folders on the CD even though it had indicated that the burn had failed. However when I open the folders and click on the individual messages they're blank. What I did was make a folder on my desktop for each of the groups of messages I wanted to save and moved the messages to the folders. Then I opened Nero and added the folders by clicking the 'add' button on Nero which brought up the desktop for me to select the folders I wanted to add. At the bottom of that screen was another add button. When I highlighted the folders I wanted then clicked on the add button at the botton of that screen it added the highlighted folder to Nero. I hope I don't have to save these messages individually to that Nero screen in order for them to be saved in tact because there are thousands of them I have to save. That will take a lifetime.