1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't see disc in drive, ASPI followup help needed please

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Antwanet, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Antwanet

Antwanet Guest

Hi, all. I'm a trifle confused. I have an HP Pavilion a530n with a HP DVD Writer 300n 3.11. Since I deleted Roxio, it has wiped out my drive's ability to "see". Can't burn to CD or read a disc, any kind. It does not recognize that there is a disc in the drive.
    Okay, so I came here, and happily did the ASPI downloads. Installed them and got the message that ASPI is fully installed, etc. Also did the Force one. Ran both and downloaded Burn4Free to replace easy CD creator.
    What is happening is that the command prompt says the drive is not ready, and Burn4Free says please insert a disc.
    What should I have done after installing the ASPIs? I know the Roxio fix does not work but there has to be a way to recover from this. Thanks in advance for any help. Antoinette

2. attar

attar Senior member

Did you use Roxio Zap?
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/Roxio-Zap.shtml

ASPI is not required for CD or DVD burning on XP.

Uninstall the IDE controller that the burner is connected to.
    If your not sure, uninstall both Primary and Secondary and reboot.

Right click, My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager > click on '+' beside IDE Controllers > Secondary , Right Click, 'Uninstall' then reboot.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2007
  3. Antwanet

Antwanet Guest

Hi, attar. Yes, I did use Roxio zap, and also uninstalled the primary and secondary and rebooted. Still the same prob. I noticed in F1 that my list says primary master exists, primary slave does not. Secondary master and slave are both there. What could this mean?

I downloaded the upgrade for HP DVD Writer 300n [CD-ROM drive] but it will not install it since I have no CDwriting software anymore.

Probably a separate problem is that I'm supposed to be a 56k modem, but my downloads are running at 4-5 kb/s. Is that normal?
    Controllers Display
    Standard floppy disk controller
    Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
    Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller None detected
    Bus Adapters Multimedia
    Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller (2x) Realtek AC'97 Audio
    Communications Other Devices
    Agere Win Modem

Exact error messages:
    there is no disk in the drive
    please insert a disk in the drive
    will not accept WinDVD
    put in modem disk; says sp24069 is in the original modem drivers folder, and sp26633 internet sign-up security - system is not configured for this.
    install chipsets from the Device Manager folder (tried and failed)
    The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software (all four items below)

In Device Manager I uninstalled and reinstalled the drivers and rebooted the system. It still says no software for these four with a big yellow question mark.
    Other devices
    Ethernet controller
    this device isn't using any resources because it has a problem
    no driver files are required or have been loaded for this device
    Device type other devices
    Manufacturer unknown
    Location PCI bus 0, device 5, function 0

sm bus controller
    Manufacturer unknown
    Location PCI bus 0, device 1, function 1

universal serial bus (USB) controller
    Manufacturer unknown
    Location PCI bus 0, device 2, function 2

video controller (VGA compatible)
    Manufacturer unknown
    Location PCI bus 1, device 0, function 0

Code 28
    The drivers for this device are not installed (Code 28).

To reinstall the drivers for this device, click Reinstall Driver
    solution button: Reinstall Driver
    This code means the device was not installed completely.
    To resolve this issue, follow the recommended solution. If that does not work, try removing the device from Device Manager and using the Add New Hardware wizard to redetect it. You may need to obtain updated drivers if the error still occurs.

These are the messages I get in device manager for other devices. I don't think this has to do with the HP DVD Writer 300n but who knows? Anyway, thank you for replying to me. What can I do after the zap and reinstall didn't work? Thanks again.

4. attar

attar Senior member

First, XP has a built in CD writing capability.
    You should be able to drag and drop files to a blank CD and write them.
    Right click on the drive, Properties, Recording, Enable CD Recording on this Drive.

Next, reboot and tap the [Del] key (your procedure may differ from mine)and go into the PC bios.
    Look at the IDE controllers and make sure they are set 'automatic'.

If the system still is giving problems, consider doing a restore to a point where you know that everything worked ok, but note that programs installed after the restore point will not function.

'Start' > 'All Programs' > 'Accessories' > 'System Tools' > 'System Restore' > 'Restore my computer to an earlier time' > 'Next' then choose from an earlier, available point.

If this fails, consider having someone knowledgeable look at the PC or as a last resort, reinstall Windows (knowing that unless your data is externally backed up, you will lose it)

5. Antwanet

Antwanet Guest

Thanks, Attar, for helping. Unfortunately, I have no system restore available as everything was wiped out. I did reinstall the IDE and it hasn't changed anything. I had to reinstall Windows completely. I'll give that PC BIos a try and let you know. Thanks!