1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

can't shrink "the notebook"

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by 28melissa, Apr 23, 2005.

1. 28melissa

28melissa Member

I use DVD shrink version 3.2.0.15 to shrink my DVDs, then DVD decrypter to burn them to DVD. Haven't had any problems until now... when I try to use DVD shrink to shrink "The Notebook", during Analyzing (sometimes after 0%, 12%, 15%, real random) it gives me this error:

DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue
    Failed to read file D:\
    Incorrect function.

The DVD plays just fine all the way through in a dvd player.

Any suggestions? And please be specific... I haven't used any programs other than DVD shrink and DVD decrypter for backing up DVDs.

2. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Dvd shrink needs help on this movie. You can download the 21 day free trial of anydvd by slysoft.This background ripper should help dvd shrink to rip it.

Or you can rip with the latest version of dvd decrypter. You'll want to rip it in file mode to your hard drive,locate the mds file when you compress them with dvd shrink-re-author if desired/and then burn with dvd decrypter.

I did this one a while back,and I believe it has the newest encryption on it.

3. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

28melissa,
    Welcome to the forum

You did rip it to the HD w/ DVDDecrypter?

In Shrink: You need to change the DVD copy size so it will not burn to the outer edge.
    Go to Edit> preferences > Target DVD size now change that to Custom> on the right hand side of that change the size to 4300

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

if you do what saugmon says, there is one thing I should mention. If you use File mode in Decrypter, you will have to look for whatever folder Decrypter puts the files in. You will not see an MDS file, but you should see a bunch of VOB files, along with some IFO and BUP files. Then using Shrink you will open this folder. The MDS file only shows up if you rip the movie using ISO/Read. Either way works fine, just wanted to clear up some potential confusion. If you do rip in ISO mode, when you use Shrink you will need to click File/Open Image File and then locate the MDS file.