1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't switch to 1x

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by baseballa, Jan 18, 2007.

1. baseballa

baseballa Member

I'm using Nero OEM Suite and trying to burn DVD files to a DVD. I know how to do that, but the lowest speed Nero will let me burn is 6x. Is there any way to burn at at least 4x? Thanks for any help.

2. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Probably need to update the firmware on your burner. Check here for updates:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_search.php

or try the mfgr's web site for update support.

Once you have updated your firmware (if available), put a blank disk in your drive. See if your burn speed choices improve.

3. baseballa

baseballa Member

Thanks, for the help, but what does it mean when it says on the site that doing this could destroy my drive?

4. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Be SURE you are using the firmware for your specific burner. Don't update during a thunderstorm, powersurge, or such. Close all other programs, no disk in the burner, and follow any instructions precisely.

Improper updating can be really bad. But, I have done several without incident. It's one of those precautions that must be mentioned.

5. baseballa

baseballa Member

Ok, but how do I find out what the exact model of my drive is?

6. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

7. baseballa

baseballa Member

Alright, I downloaded and installed the firmware for my drive, but Nero still won't let switch the burn speed to lower than 6x. Could it just be that my version of Nero does not have the capability to burn slower than 6x?

8. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

What version do you have? Mine is 6.6.0.18 and allows me to select various speeds from 1x thru 16x.

6.6.0.18 is the best in the 6 series; most stable.

9. baseballa

baseballa Member

Mine is an OEM SUITE. It came with the Lite-On DVD burner that I bought. It says that the CD contains:

-DOS Driver
    -Nero Express 6.6,
    INCD4,
    Nerovision Express 3,
    Nero BackItUp,
    MPEG-2 SVCD/DVD Plug-IN
    -DVD-Rewritable Drive Manual
    -Acrobat Reader

10. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

Click on the Flame emblem (lower right corner) when you open Nero. It should tell you the specific version of Nero that is installed.

You should be able to choose from the full range of speeds that your burner is capable of. I have a Sony (rebadged BenQ). Lite-On is a good brand from what I have read on aD. You should be able to select lower than 6x.

You could try uninstalling Nero, run their Clean Tool (From their web site), and reinstall Nero. Be sure you make a note of your s/n before the uninstall.

11. baseballa

baseballa Member

My version is 6.6.0.17. Thanks for the help. I'm going to try that now.

12. baseballa

baseballa Member

Ok, I tried what you said, and when there is no blank DVD in the drive, I can pick any speed, but when I put a blank 8x DVD in, I can only choose between 8x and 6x.

13. rulisky

rulisky Regular member

OK. I put a blank in mine to see what choices I had. Used a Sony DVD+R (made by taiyo yuden) and found 2.4x, 4x, and 8x. Without a disk I had a wider choice. Seems like the disk you put in can influence the choices you have for burn speed. That would be related to the firmware which holds the programming for each disk brand and type (+/_) and controls how the disk is handled during the burn process.

So, try a different brand disk. Verbatims and the Taiyo Yudens are well respected here. Look for Made in Japan (MIJ) on the label. See if this helps.

14. baseballa

baseballa Member

Alright, I'll try different discs when I try this again. Thanks a lot for the help.