1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't sync Divx to MPG conversion; help?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by lansub, May 7, 2007.

1. lansub

lansub Member

I have a Divx file that's 1 hour and 28 minutes long, and I'm trying to get a 3 minute and 45 second clip as an MPG file out of it, from 00:23:39 to 00:27:24. I have Xilisoft AVI MPEG Converter and I put the original Divx file into the program and set the Duration on the side to 00:03:45, the Start Time to 00:23:39 and left the rest of the settings the same, then converted the file. The process went fine, but then for some reason the output MPG file was 7 minutes and 10 seconds long. The audio is fine, but the video is super slowed down, and obviously it doesn't sync at all. The audio ends where it should at 3:45, but the video keeps going in slow motion until 7:10 with no sound. I tried changing some of the settings around, changing the output file to MPEG-2, MPEG-1 and AVI, but nothing I've done has made any difference; the output file is always in slow motion. The closest I've come to fixing it has been changing the Frame Rate from 25 to 45, but even then the video and the audio are out of sync, even though the video is no longer in slow motion and the total running time is down to 3:51 instead of 7:10. So, does anyone have any ideas about what I can do to get the 3:45 clip out of the file as a normal, synchronized MPG file? Are there other settings I should change in Xilisoft AVI MPEG Converter, or should I download a different program altogether? Thanks in advance for any help.

2. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

Make a god run of DivXRepair, because if the output is difefrent from the source there are two possible reasons:
    - bad use of application (learn it better or use more user friendly one)
    - corruput input AVI (DivXRepair should produce movie_repair.avi which won't cause problems)

3. lansub

lansub Member

I downloaded DivXRrepair, but it seems to only work with AVI files, and the input file is a Divx file. I tried to have it open the divx file but it wouldn't accept it. Any other recommendations for what I can do...?
    thanks

4. aldaco12

aldaco12 Active member

The commonly called DivX files are simply .avi files made using the DivX codec.
    Has, that movie, the .divx extension, instead?
    In that case, I would convart it to .avi, first (see http://www.riverpast.com/en/support/tutorials/convert/divx/avi.php ), but I'm afraid that if that file is corrupt the all job will ruin from the beginning.

Last edited: May 10, 2007
  5. whassup

whassup Regular member

Two more suggestions:

1) Try using other encoders to encode your "partial" clip. TMPGEnc, CCE, etc all do it.

2) Have you tried splicing your video first? VirtualDub, perhaps?