1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't Use Big DivX/Xvid file

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by SkyDomain, Jun 4, 2007.

1. SkyDomain

SkyDomain Member

I have a DivX movie file that is 2.90GB but I can't touch it, I tried to encode in both Xvid & DivX. Only DivX own player can play it properly, how come?

I need to mux this file with a AC3 track, but all programs reject the 2.90GB file.

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Short explanation: An avi file cannot get larger than 2 GB, even if win98 (FAT32) can handle files as large as 4 GB and WinXP/2K (NTFS) can handle files of almost any size.

In VirtualDub you can simply split the files every time it reaches 2 GB. That is what spill drives are for; they allow the files to be loaded later as one logical file again. This ingenious idea by Avery Lee puzzles even large (and expensive) suppliers of capture software.

OpenDML is the name of the enhancement to the AVI standard that enables them to exceed 2GB.

You may be able to circumvent this limitation opening an AviSynth script that uses AviSource() or perhaps DirectShowSource().

It is a known, open issue, due to the limitations of the Microsoft AVI File Support Library.

See here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?source=ig&hl=en&q=max+avi+size&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

3. celtic_d

celtic_d Regular member

Try AVI-Mux GUI. It fully supports ODML and will enable it automatically for files over 2GB's.