1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capacitor Value at "S" Solder Point

Discussion in 'PS2' started by DILLIGAF, Jan 13, 2003.

1. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Guest

Unfortunately when I was doing some other rework on my board the capacitor at the “S” connection broke off. I have the capability to fix this but I need to know the value of this capacitor so I can replace it with the correct value. Since it’s now broken, I now have no way of even measuring the value. If anyone knows the value of the capacitor, I would be most grateful.

Thanks in advance,
    DILLIGAF

2. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

3. ratzrizzo

ratzrizzo Member

I had the very same problem. How do you replace the capacitor? Also the ps2 v7 I have still works with out the s wire capacitor what's it for and can you still use a magic 3.5 without it? Any information would help. I still have the old capacitior. Can it still be used?

4. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Guest

ratzrizzo...You can measure a cap with some of the more recent Fluke Ohm meters. The have a switch to measure capacitance. To answer your other questions, if both side of the cap have silver ends it probably means the cap is ok and not broken. If one of the ends is not silver, the cap is most likely broken and no longer any good and also means you can no longer measure it. Hope this helps.

5. ratzrizzo

ratzrizzo Member

Thanks for the info.
    It seems (according to your descripion) that the capacitor I have is still working. Now the big question is...is it possible to put it back on the board, and if so how? I asked a couple of ps2 repair places they say the board would have to be replaced. That would be a big drag. Thanks for the help.
    Ratrizzo

6. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Guest

ratzrizzo...You can have someone that has good solder skills solder the cap back on. I work for an electronics company and people I work with fix that kind of stuff all the time so it can be fixed if you bring it to the right people. You may be able to get it fixed at a local electronics repair shop but I'm not really sure, I've never looked into it because I've always had the resources at work but it can be fixed as long as the Cap is good and you didn't rip the pads off the board where the cap would be soldered too.

Also, do you have the means to measure the value of that cap you have off the board? If so, can you measure the cap for me and tell me the value is.

Good Luck,
    DILLIGAF

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2003
  7. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

dilligaf I just told you what the value is. 1uf. Just go to radioshack and pick one up. Wait a minute. Are you talking about the resistor at the s point (actually on the board) or the capacitor that people solder on the s line? You've go me confused now. Anyway if you are talking about the capacitor that was soldered on the line you use a 1uf but for some reason I don't think you're talking about that. It's there to choppy dvd playback. A lot of people put that on the s line of a magic 2 to remove DC noise that is most likely causing the skipping by hoaxing SCEx

8. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Guest

bluebus...I am indeed talking about the cap. How do you know this is a 1Uf cap. I have talked to some of the rework and design engineers where I work (They work on and design PC motherboards) and they personally haven't seen a 1Uf cap in that size form factor. Did you take the cap out of the circuit and measure it or possibly have a schematic? I'm not trying to insult your intelligence but I just want to make sure I put in the correct value cap. I’ve messed this up enough by breaking it off the board, I don’t want to do any more permanent damage to the board by putting in the wrong cap. Thanks for your input.

9. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

Here is the radioshack catalog # for the one that I bought. I know it is 1uf because it says on the box that it comes in.

272-1434A

It is a 1.0uf tantalum capacitor 35WVDC max
    I just went in to radioshack and bought it not that long ago and it fixed my problem with the dvd video playback.
    Hope that helps

Last edited: Jan 14, 2003
  10. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Guest

Thanks bluebus...Sorry if I offended you, you have been a big help. I'm going to get one and see if this solves my problem with no video and sound.

Thanks again.

11. bluebus

bluebus Regular member

Well if you're having problems with no video or sound I don't think that will fix it. It is meant mainly to fix jerky dvd video playback. Also I'm not sure what chip you have but I have only seen this problem with the magic 2. All the magic 3's I've installed work flawless.

12. DILLIGAF

DILLIGAF Guest

I encountered the no video/sound problem after soldering the (4) L-Board wires directly to the back of the P2 board while using the BIOS Chip Clip. I have since removed everything off the board (any mod chip modification) and had one of the rework people I work with clean up everything and I still have the problem. The only other thing I can think of is that when pushing on the BIOS Chip Clip, I may have pushed it on too hard and broken one of the BIOS leg connections. Tomorrow I'm going to have someone check all the solder connections on the BIOS chip and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll get a new P2 and start from scratch but I'm going to purchase the new Magic 3.1 without the adapter boards and have a rework person here at work solder everything direct. Thanks again for all your input.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2003