1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

capture a dvd frame

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by rtrg, Apr 14, 2012.

1. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I wish to capture and print any given dvd frame. I am using 4 players, wmp 9, wmp 6.4, GOM 2.1, and VLC 2.5. All will play commercial dvds and ones I record using any of my $ combo units. Only PLUS R/W media will work. As an audio fan I prefer erasable media as magnetic tape is. The issue is that of the 4 players only VLC has a working in built "CAPTURE" function. GOM has one but I cannot figure out has it works. both WMPs are supposed to do the same thing using a combination of cut and paste and PAINT to save and print from. That does not work either. The 2nd issue with VLC is the CAPTURED frame is SQUISHED horizontaly whether it is captured in pause or ON THE FLY. The resulting print is exactly as it is in the preview center. Is there a way I can restore the image to its proper dimensions? Before printing? Is there a way to do the same in the other 3 players? Gom has this in built ability but the image is placed in the unidentified "SELECTED FOLDER". I have no idea of what it is or how to access it. The "CLIPBOARD" is also a mystery to me. Any accurate steps as it applies to these players is welcome. A forum member said the VIDEO ACCELERATION in WMP 9 should be "0" or NONE. At that choice the dvd will not play at all. I am stymied. HELP! Please move as needed.

2. attar

attar Senior member

As long as the 'clipboard' isn't local to the program, you should be able to open an image viewer and 'paste' the image from the clipboard (Ctrl v).

If you open the snapshot in a viewer like IrfanView, you can resize it.
    For DVD:Snapshots from 4:3 (1.333) resize to [720x540] 720/1.333=540
    .......:Snapshots from 16:9 (1.777) resize to [720x404] 720/1.777=404

Here's a snapshot of a 4:3 Aspect Ratio PAL movie:
    [​IMG]

From a 16:9 NTSC movie.
    [​IMG]

3. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I tried that technique a number of times using all 4 players. None work. I do not know if it is even possible to find the "CLIPBOARD" to see if the image is there. I was told to use my GOM player because is has a built in CAPTURE function. There are 3 capture types, CAPTURE SINGLE, CAPTURE ADVANCED, and CAPTURE BURST. In the first case the video is either running or paused, CAPTURE SINGLE is used which is found under CONTROL PANEL, VIDEO, CAPTURE. When CAPTURE is selected, ENTER pressed, CAPTURED TO DESIGNATED FOLDER appears breifly. The folder is NOT identified or how to find it so the image could be moved to PAINT and then printed from there. CAPYURE ADVANCED is similar with the addition of IDENTIFYING the DESTINATION FOLDER which is always c:/documents and sttings/my name/gom player/capture or similar. When I either reduce a running video, or close the player, then try to RUN that folder, "CANNOT FIND FOLDER" appears. I can create a new folder but the folder is always "EMPTY". Control plus V does not work. I need to reduce to tray or close in order open PAINT from the desktop icon. Many articles have written the same steps or varients. None work. Only VLC player works as intended. With the exception that the frame is "SQAHED/SQUISHED" on both sides resulting in an elongated frame. It DOES import to PAINT or MY PICTURES easily and I can print from either delivering the same elongated image. I do not like INFANVIEW. I found it to complicated. Specific steps in order for GOM, and a solution for preventing and/or restoring images in VLC. I continue to be stumpted.

4. hello_hello

hello_hello Member

Using MPC-HC, simply open the video, pause it on the frame you wish to capture and use the File/SaveImage menu.

Media players save images as though the picture used square pixels. As DVDs don't, you need to open the saved image and resize it correctly. I use Irfanview. From it's Image/Resize-Resample menu....

If it's a 16:9 NTSC DVD change the width a height to either 854x480 or 720x405. If it's a 4:3 NTSC DVD change it to either 640x480 or 720x540 (make sure the "keep aspect ratio" box is unchecked when you use Irfanview's resize function).

For PAL 16:9 it's 1024x576 or 720x405, for PAL 4:3 768x576 or 720x540.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2012
  5. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I think I am on the right track. As I said VLC SQUISHES the image. Also it is the only player I am using that actualy works as designed. I do not have IFANVIEW. I had it once but I found it was too complicated. Does IFANVIEW also have a media player that will play any dvd> Commercial, copy protected, home made using PLUS R/W media? If yes than perhaps I can use that program as I do VLC. If no than how do I use it in conjunction with VLC/ Does the player stay running or in pause before capture. Where does the captured frame go to? Name of folder/program such as PAINT? Can I send it to my HP K80 DIRECTOR program? Or PICASA? easily? Both have resizing ability. As for the player size, I can play it as opened or at full screen. My current desktop res is set at 600x800. I do not know what aspect ratio is default. I presumb it is 4x3. Please send me precice steps in order to capture, send to another program for resizing, and then printing. If I need to PASTE it into another program or find the program or folder the player sent the capture to, I need to know when and how to find it and how to send it to another program such as PAINT or OPEN OFFICE, or PICASA. I need complete and simple steps to accomplish this .

6. hello_hello

hello_hello Member

I outlined the exact steps I'd use in my previous post. I don't use VLC but MPC-HC will save the image to your hard drive anywhere you tell it to. It'll probably default to the My Documents folder. You just pause the video, save the frame as in image, skip to the next frame or section of video, save it as another image etc....

Irfanview will play video, but it's basically an image viewer. Opening an image using Irfanview, resizing it using the Image/Resize-Resample menu and then resaving the image is about as straightforward as it gets.

If you have Picasa then you can open the images MPC-HC saved to your My Documents folder and resize them with it, then resave them, but I can't tell you how to do it with Picasa as I've never used it. There's no need to copy and paste. Just save the frames as an image using MPC-HC and then open them with Irfanview or Picasa.

7. rtrg

rtrg Regular member

I used your previous steps with success. It is not a big deal to paste to PAINT and then save and print from there. I do not even nned to save. I can print directly from PAINT or send to PICASA and resize and print from there. I am reluctent to install yet another program that apparently does the same thing. The steps are minimal and I am happy with what I learned. I am not sure is your suggested program would be of much benefit.