1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capture Tips For WinFast TV 2000 XP Expert

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by RaWHacK, Jun 13, 2004.

1. RaWHacK

RaWHacK Guest

Yo, firstly I would like to appologise if the answer's I'm looking for have already been provided on this forum I didn't have any luck with the forum search, I'm hopeing someone with some experiance can help me because I'm lacking experiance in this department,

I just have a few questions

What is the best audio and video codec to use for best quality and near no frame drops?

What is the best settings on WinFast PVR or should I get 3rd party software for better results?

Also I have amd duron 1.1gig processor
    500+ ram I'm not sure if this will cause problems with frame dropping or not...

And if theres anything else I should know to get perfect results any help/tips would be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. RaWHacK

RaWHacK Guest

Also when i capture with mpeg2 codec it is a good picture but frames drop even at 384x576 res and the file size is really big any advice would be appreciated greatly because I'm kinda itching to start capping perfect quality material thanks again.

3. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well in reality your CPU is too slow for Captureing to Mpeg2 in real time at full resolution without Dropping Frames, Your Best bet is to Capture to a Low Compression AVI format like useing the "HuffYUV" codec, and then encode the Captured AVI file to Mpeg for VCD/SVCD or DVD Creation..(If that is what you are Planning on Doing)
    You should also Capture to a seperate hard drive as your Operateing System are Installed on because Captureing to your Main C Drive will cause you to drop Frames cuz your PC has to read from the same drive it is Writeing to which greatly reduces the Speed of your Hard drive...
    This second Drive should be Fairly large because captureing useing the HuFFYUV Codec in full DVD Resolution takes up to 30gb per hour of Video.....
    Because your PC is so slow you will not be able to capture Full resolution Files useing any codec that uses a Lot of compression Like DiVx or Mpeg2 because they use a Lot of CPU power.....
    What would be Ideal is if you had a CPU with at least 2.0ghz and a second Hard drive of at least 80gb ...
    If you had a Faster CPU you could Capture directly to Mpeg2 which means you wouldn"t need the extra Drive because you don"t need a Lot of Bandwidth to Write Mpeg2 data to your Hard drive but if you don"t have a faster CPU then you would have to capture to a Low Compression AVI format like HuffYUV which doesn"t need a Lot of CPU power but needs a Lot Of Drive space and Drive speed.....

You can upgrade your PC to a 2.0ghz+ CPU with a New Motherboard for under $100 and you can Get a 200GB Hard drive for $89 at Tiger Direct, you would have to install it yourself which isn"t too hard.....

Well good luck
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]It"s better to be Pissed Off than Pissed On!!![/small]

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  4. RaWHacK

RaWHacK Guest

Hey thanks for that I tried "HuffYUV" codec but the problem is 10 minutes is 1.30 gig so 1 hour would be 7.80 gig which is a lot I was kinda hoping to put like 45 minutes to an hour into 600mb, is there anything else I should know, should I compress it more and use deinterlace for more perfect picture and better compression I really am a newb at capping and all things video related..

Is there any other 3rd party software I should use to achieve good results good quality good compression etc.

Thanks for the advice I'm planning on getting a new processor hopefuly that will solve a few of my problems, thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2004
  5. Minion

Minion Senior member

Yes I know it takes up a Lot of Space, I said in my post it can take up to 30gb per hour at full resolution...You don"t keep the Files in that Format, after captureing you Re-encode the File to your Desired Format..Like DivX if you want to just Burn them to CD-R or encode them to Mpeg1 or Mpeg2 for VCD or SVCD or DVD that you can watch on your DVD Player..
    So decide if you want to watch the Captured files on your PC or if you want to watch them on your DVD Player and then encode the Files to that Format.....

6. mm747

mm747 Member

Noticed your posts, had to comment; I just got the Winfast TV 2000 XP and it won't capture above 352x288 without dropped frames, DVD capture (720x480) gets 30-40% dropped frames. Leadtek says they don't guarantee
    software encoding rates and that my system is slow.
    My system; Dell Dim 4600 P-4-2.8ghz 512mram, win xp-sp-1. Capture to drive E: WD-120G 8mb buffer. Tried all updates, no change, virus scan off. Does same using leadtek's Winfast PVR program or Uleads Video Studio 7.

Any ideas out there

7. turkey

turkey Regular member

i wouldn't say that your system is slow but honestly 512MB of RAM is a little on the lite side for 720x480 capture. i recently pulled one of my two 512MB modules to perform some tests and i was dropping frames all over the place during 720x480 capture. with 1024MB in dual memory channel config it is smooth as silk.

couple of questions...
    is your 512MB on one module or is it 256MBx2 ??
    is your motherboard single or dual memory channel??

can't say anything for your winfast device, it could still be causeing the problems, but i can say that captureing the very highest quality video requires some real serious hardware.

8. mm747

mm747 Member

Sorry took so long to get back, I have two modules and its dual channel.

9. turkey

turkey Regular member

well that config is the best for the amount of ram you've got, but who's to say if it is enough for 720x480 capture??? if you can start at 352x288 without dropped frames then crank it up to 720x480 and have trouble, then that points to hardware performance issues. but that is just one man's feeble opinion.

10. mm747

mm747 Member

Well thank you for your thoughts on this. My problem is that if I need a computer that is super fast and least 1 gig of mem to get this card to perform as advertised then the ad for it should say so. It looks like Leadtek has a 3 yr. warr. so I guess I'll try another card. What really bugs me is the fact that I know they sell hundreds of these and I don't see very many complaints (mine specific is 0)about the card. Maybe its the card or my system but I'll find out.

11. turkey

turkey Regular member

fair enough.
    as i said before, i can't say anything about the winfast card, i don't have one myself. so it is smart to first find out if it is your particular card that is causeing the problem. you could try sticking it into another machine just as a test. if you're going to get a new one, try one with the 10-bit decoder chip rather then just 8-bit.