1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capture video faster than realtime

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Gil_a, Jul 21, 2003.

1. Gil_a

Gil_a Member

I have a lot of analog cassettes in VHS and BetacamSP format. I need to capture and and compress them into MPEG format.
    Is there anyway to do this is in a fatser than realtime mode, i.e. if I have a 1-hour cassette is there a way to capture it in less than 1 hour ?
    Are there VHS or Beta players that can play in fast forward inclduing a pitched audio ?

2. jnihil

jnihil Moderator Staff Member

Never heard of anyone doing this. How many tapes do you have?

3. crehren

crehren Guest

I've worked on a couple decks, quite some time ago, which are capable of doing that. Unfortunately I can't give you any brands or models to look for. It's all pro gear and costs a pretty penny too.

If they sell 'em like they sell the photographic systems I work on you have to buy or lease the entire system. Good luck.

If you find something on the consumer side of the price scale please let us know (I'd love to get one too).

4. jnihil

You're talking about tape-to-tape decks aren't you?

5. crehren

crehren Guest

Nope, the one's I was using dumped straight into a PC for editing in Premier. That was in college a few years ago. There was only one deck on the systems I had to use.

6. jnihil

Really? Amazing. So Premiere was setup to capture at more than 25/29.97 frames per second?

7. crehren

crehren Guest

No, Premiere wasn't used for capture, just editing, there was some other capture app. You'd just set the start and stop times and let her go. I think it was probably more a matter of the card the deck was connected to. The deck didn't seem all that special to me, but I'm very from from even being able to consider myself a hobbyist.

8. jnihil

Yeah, I would say it was a special capture card. Couldn't imagine too many vendors making the capture hardware to support the analog video signal at accelerated rates.

9. crehren

crehren Guest

They've probably never made it to the consumer market due to the fact that DV came out so quick. I guess that they wouldn't want to waste the money trying to appeal to the consumer market until PC's were readily capable of handling it. By the time that you average PC was powerful enough and for a low enough cost, DV had hit and pretty much killed analog's potential market.

I used one in college and a local public access TV station I did some work for had just received one from a local network affiliate. I just didn't realize that they were that uncommon. I wonder if you couldn't find one on E-Bay for a reasonable price.

Heck, Now I think I'd like to get my hands on one just for the novelty...

10. Gil_a

Gil_a Member

I originated the question, and now I want to summarize my understanding:

1. It was a special deck tape that was capable of playing the video in an accelerated speed, without dropping any frame and with a pitched audio.
    2. The tape deck was connected to a special capture card installed in a PC. The capture card captured the video in faster than real time (e.g. in twice a speed than realtime) and dumped the data to a file on the PC.
    3. Permier was capable to use the file for Editing purpose.

Is these understandings are correct?
    Any clue on the vendors?

Thanks

11. lowboy

lowboy Member

Not to vere off to much here but... i was looking for a caputre solution myself, but not interested in real time so much as S-VHS to MPEG 1/VCD. What hardware/ AD/DA capture device and or software would simply get me to burning VCD's? in other words, what are some solutions to getting my S-VHS to VCD (as an MPEG 1)quickly with out all that rendering time.