1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capture Video from dvdplayer into ATI all-in-wonder

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by tonydatig, Sep 23, 2004.

1. tonydatig

tonydatig Member

I'm trying to capture video coming from my standalone dvd player video out into my ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder capture device on my PC. I'm getting green screens when playing a dvd, yet other vcd disks seem to work just fine. I'm assuming that this is a copy-protection (IE, macrovision, CSS, etc). Can anyone tell me if there is a way to do this? I know that there is software to remove macrovision/CSS from a file, but I believe in this case it may need to be removed from the capture stream before recording it.
    I really don't have the funds right now to buy a dvd recorder or player for the pc. any help is greatly appreciated.

Email me at joblo2u@yahoo.com if you need to send examples, ideas, or utils.
    If I'm in the wrong forum, please direct me where to post this msg. Thanx alot.

2. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well the only way to remove the Copy Protection from the Video Stream while Captureing is to use something like a "Sima Copy Master" or a Good Video Stabilizer which can cost anywere from $30 to $100 and you can get a DVD burner for about $50 which would produce Much higher quality than Captureing from a DVD player would...
    There are no Software methods to remove the Copy protection while Captureing because it is your Capture device that has the Built in MacroVision detection so by the Time the Signal gets to your PC the Signal is allready Scrambled....

So you have 2 Options if you want to get DVD"s to your Hard drive and that is to get a device that will remove the Copy Protection like a "Sima Copy Master" or get a DVD Burner and Rip the DVD to your Hard drive which would be the Cheapest way to go...

Good Luck

3. Alex2332

Alex2332 Guest

Maybe you know something about the SIMA CopyMaster that I don't, but it does not defeat macrovision, and the AIW will not record protected video put through it. If you have a work-around for that, let me know. BTW, I am using SVHS input and output on the Sima

4. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well a Video stabilizer does remove Macrovision...
    Are you sure that the Sima copy Master doesn"t remove Macrovision because what is it good for if it doesn"t??

Well maybe it is this you need then:
    http://www.simacorp.com/products/item.ep.html?id=477

But why capture from a DVD Player?? It is simpler and Faster and better quality to just rip the DVD to your Hard drive useing something like DVD decryptor which removes all Protections when Ripping a DVD to your Hard drive......

5. Alex2332

Alex2332 Guest

I don't think the Sima CopyMaster is a video "stabilizer". It "enhances" (read boosts) the signal so there is no loss while copying. It does a good job of that, but it doesn't strip of the macrovision and replace it with a new sync signal. Maybe the Sima CT-2 will.... maybe not. Have you tried it?
    I agree, ripping a dvd with something like DVD Decrypter and burning it with CloneDVD is the best way to go for copying your DVD. I need something to copy my old VHS tapes using my ATI AIW 9600XT

6. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well I know for a fact that the Sima CT-2 is for Copying VHS/DVD and does strip out Macrovision ,If you go to there web site they say as much....

I have only ever used a Video Stabilizer for VHS to DVD Conversions there is also a Macrovision Hack for ATI Cards that disables the Macrovision detection in ATI Cards but it seems to only work with some VHS tapes but I do know it does work Sometimes and if you do a Google search for it you can Probably find it.....

7. Alex2332

Alex2332 Guest

I think that hack doesn't disable the macrovision detection. It disables the re-writing of the macrovision in the output copy.

8. Minion

Minion Senior member

Well it is Supposed to disable the Macrovision detection as it explains how the Patch works in the TXT file that comes with it...The Macrovision Detection is built into the ATI WDM Driver and this Patch Patched the driver so it doesn"t detect it and It worked for most all VHS movies I tried it with but not from any DVD"s...I used the Patch with Both ATI 7200 VIVO card and an All In Wonder 8500DV with success but I don"t know if it workes with newer Cards...

And this:
    Doesn"t make any sence as there is No way it is Possible to capture Video of any Type and have the Macrovision protection be in the Captured File, It just isn"t possible when captureing from an Analogue Signal....

9. Alex2332

Alex2332 Guest

Here is a quote from the text file accommpanying the "hack"...

"This program will enable/disable the ATI's T.V. -> Out MacroVision encoding (when possible).
    If you do not see the macrovision button as enabled,
    then you most likely need a newer driver, or your
    specific ATI card is not supported.
    This program is ONLY for ATI cards and will not work
    for anything else.
    For any questions, mail dvdinf@hotmail.com"

Apparently the macrovision "IN" detection on the new ATI AIWs (ie mine is an AIW 9600XT)is on the chip, not the driver.
    If you find out differently, let me know.