1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Captured VHS provides no audio..but other tapes do

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by ryoga, Aug 29, 2004.

1. ryoga

ryoga Member

Hi. I am capturing a tape from a VCR into Premiere Pro via the Matrox RCA connections. The problem is that the tape does have audio when played by itself, but when captured, no audio is present. I try other tapes and the audio is heard fine. It is this single tape that I can't seem to hear anything. I tried using a combo VCR to dub from VHS to MiniDV and the video is fine but no audio is transferred over. The tape does have audio when played, anyone have an idea why this is acting funny? The line in is turned on and nothing is muted since other tapes work. Any help would be appreciated.

2. turkey

turkey Regular member

hi,
    this does sound pretty weird...
    are you saying that you have tried your "problem tape" in more then one VCR and it does not output sound??

also, when you say you know the tape has audio, are you saying that you have heard audio output but just can't record it?? where do you hear (or know) the audio is coming from?? the speakers on a TV??

if you can hear audio from TV speakers, try hooking the audio output from the TV into the input on the computer, rather then using the output from the VCR.

3. ryoga

ryoga Member

The problem tape has normal audio and video when I play it from a VCR to a television. I can hear and see everything fine from the TV. When capturing though, there is no audio (even during the preview). When I capture another VHS tape through the same method, I can hear the audio fine. Is there some way that a VHS tape is made that prevents the audio from being captured normally? It is very confusing to me why this is happening..

4. turkey

turkey Regular member

i guess it is possible that the audio on the tape was recorded at an alternative sampleing frequency or something, but i am no expert on how VHS tapes are made...

if your TV has RCA audio output, you could work around the issue by pluging the TV output to your capture input.

5. ryoga

ryoga Member

Thanks turkey, I will give that a try. I am still curious to why the audio won't capture though. anyone else know of such a case?

6. fugitive2

fugitive2 Regular member

My only guess is that it is the HiFi audio track that's
    missing, and audio is only available on the (old) analog track, (stereo on 1mm of the tape just like on a normal audio tape recorder)
    Checkout if you have some sort of audio switch on your vcr, which you can set, or try diiferent connections,
    scart/rca

or checkout any audio dub settings on your vcr.

7. ryoga

ryoga Member

Yeah I think it is the hi-fi audio causing the problem. The VCR I am using doesn't have many options to go by. There is only one set of RCA outputs and the menu is basically two settings without any option for audio settings. I am using a Panasonic AG-2570 and have no manual for it of course! What a pain this is, I am going to try another VCR that isn't mine but I wish I could bypass that hassle. Thanks for the help so far! Keep em comin!