1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing Anolog Video in Pinnacle Studio 9

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by Moneo, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Moneo

Moneo Member

Hi all,
    I have a problem with the aforementioned subject. Actually not me, but my father. He is trying to convert his old BETA tapes to DVD. After using many different (cheap and nasty) capturing software packages, such as intervideo and cyberlink director etc. , and having problems with them, (ie sound dropping out unexpectedly, sound lagging/leading, unexpected crashes etc), he finnally decided to take my advice and buy something worthwhile, Pinnacle Studio 9. But now, after spending the $250 to get it he is still having problems.
    On the Pinnacle Studio 9 Capture screen all appears as normal, and everything seems to work as it should, until you decide to capture. The timer displayed underneath the preview window starts to count but will then stop unexpectedly, and at a random time. The button located at the bottom of the screen still reads "STOP CAPTURING" as if it were continueing to work, but the file will only ever be as long as the counter suggests.

For example:
    I press play on the the BETA recorder, (connected through RCA plugs to a Radeon 9200XT 256mb VIVO card), then press "START CAPTURE", The capture begins, and then it runs for 2 minutes (though just for this example, in reality it will go for anytime between half a second and 20 minutes), after which the counter stops counting. If I wait for another minute and then press "STOP CAPTURE" after this has happened the file will have a duration of 2 minutes, even though I "captured" 3 minutes of video.

I have downloaded Studio 9's patch, have all the latest drivers for the video card, win2000 was just recently (yesterday) formatted and reinstalled, and there are no hardware conflicts/other problems (as far as it is telling me).

Trying to capture DV works fine, a 25 minute movie was successfully recorded.

It also doesn't seem to matter if the quality of the captured video is turned down to a minimum, (that includes the BIT RATE, which i tried both at minimum and maximum, and default settings). Though, quality should not have to be removed in order to make it work, otherwise there is no point to this whole excersise.

Anyway, i hope someone has some ideas about this problem, i realise that this isn't a 'Pinnacle Support' site.

Thanks a lot,

2. aogp

aogp Member

I have a similar setup, and a very similar problem: capture dies after a variable number of minutes.

TV capture is fine, just VHS causes the problem.

Any ideas, anyone? I'm new to this and I've just about exhausted everything I know to try.

Andrew

3. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

4. piano632

piano632 Regular member

I have the Deluxe version of Pinnacle Studio 8 which comes with it's own analog & DV capture card. I have not had any problems capturing from analog tapes.

The only suggestion I can make is try using a time base corrector (TBC). Some high-end VCRs (like JVC models) have TBCs built in, otherwise you can buy one separately (but usually not cheap). What TBCs do is regenerate the sync signals and output a more stable video.

Stand-alone DVD recorders all have TBCs built-in also and can save a lot of hassle of trying to do it on a computer.