1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing DV or MPEG output from PC -- Best Options?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by beaters, Jul 22, 2003.

1. beaters

beaters Member

Can anyone provide feedback on what might be the preferred method for capturing DV or MPEG output from a PC? Specifically what I would like to do is to be able to capture MS Powerpoint presentations with embedded audio and output to DV preferably, with MPEG 2 or 1 as second or third choices. I figure I could output to analog & re-encode, but there ought to be a better way.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

What capture device did you have in mind? My friend has a Panasonic DVsomething (a digital camcorder) and uses Firewire and Windows Movie Maker to capture the video as RAW avi and then encodes it to whatever he needs. It seems to be a (mentally) simple approach. :)

3. beaters

beaters Member

Probably I'd use a digital camcorder, assuming there is a way to route the DV signal to it. I'm running a Shuttle 51 with 1 GB 2700 RAM, and a Radeon All In Wonder AGP 7500 video card as well as the usual complement of firewire and USB2 ports.

4. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

Well if you have a digital camcorder, the method I suggested would work (and is completely fre). If you want something fancier, you might want to look into Adobe Premier (definitely not free)