1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing from VCR looses quality

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by netdoc, Feb 15, 2005.

1. netdoc

netdoc Member

I have been reading around the different forums around the internet, and I think I know the answer to this but just want to tripple check. I have been working on getting all my VHS tapes to my computer so that I can burn them to DVD. I bought a S-VHS in order to get the S-Video connection. I have it going into a pinnacle capture card. I used to have it go to ATI but was having issues. I bought some different pieces of software and have downloaded others. With some limited experimenting I find that I actually loose video quality when transfering. I can play the VHS tape and then switch over to the DVD I created from that VHS tape and it does not look near as good. Seeing as I am going to be doing this a lot what else should I be looking at. Things on my list are

1. Better Svideo cable
    2. Experimenting with Resolutions (I heard 352x576 is going to be best)
    3. Run some kind of enhancer software such as videosoap, or the like
    4. Choose differing capturing and encoding software such as virtualdub.
    5. Should I be encoding at a high rate or quality or capturing higher.

Tips, Tricks.

I dont think I can convince my accountant to let me spend the serious coin to get advanced hardware. But as long as the quality on the end DVD is equal to what it was on the VCR we are good.

2. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

Without additional hardware, I don't think that the quality of the DVD will be equal to the VHS, although, in my case, the old VHS tapes I captured were poor to beging with, and there was no difference when I burned them to a DVD.

What format are you using for capture? If you are able, capture to AVI, instead of MPEG2.

3. netdoc

netdoc Member

Yes I can do AVI. If I were to prioritize what type of hardware should I buy?

4. pfh

pfh Guest

5. netdoc

netdoc Member

So i think I am gathering from replys that my best dollar investment is going to be with the better VCR I have a JVC 2900, I looked at some on Ebay like the JVC9XXX for not a bad price. But would my money be better spent on the capture card, or processor like the canopus