1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing PAL in 60hz

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by Falconer, Jan 7, 2007.

1. Falconer

Falconer Member

Does anyone know how I can capture from a PAL source in 60hz? I can capture from my Xbox 360 in PAL but most games run only in 60hz and I need some software that will allow me to capture a PAL source in 60hz to a PC.

I've used Pinnacle Studio 10 and that won't capture video in PAL at 60hz

2. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

thought it would be nice if someone replied to you

60hz = 30fps

tv sets do each frame in 2 halfs odds on the way down, evens on the way up, thus making 30 frame per second into 60hertz (hertz = cycles per second)

unfortunatly by its very definition PAL is 25fps or 50hz, NTSC is 30 fps 60hz

most capture cards and apps are capable of 30fps

Last edited: Jan 20, 2007
  3. Falconer

Falconer Member

Thanks for your reply. I don't want to sound ignorant, or dumb for that matter... but perhaps I can clarify my situation more...

My UK Xbox 360 plays in both PAL 50 and PAL 60 so it's able to achieve the 30fps as you said.

However, my capture card or software... I'm using a Pinnacle Capture Card with Pinnacle Studi0 10 won't capture a 60hz picture... It gets a distorted image with a green line along the bottom...

The think the complication may be software based... maybe. I can set the software to NTSC but the console cannot be set to NTSC with it being a UK console. So I have to use PAL. Now I can capture PAL 50 no problem. However, most Xbox 360 games require a 60hz setting and therefore this messes up the capture as the software can only deal with Pal 50.

I think my problems would be solved if I could get software that captured PAL 60... I mean it's a standard PAL is capable of running.

Thanks for any input, would appreciate some more info from anyone else.

4. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

That may be because the card is running at the correct standards for PAL and NTSC.

Having said that, try MediaPlayerClassic - its free, it picks up most capture devices and can be download from the software section of this site - you may find you can configure it to your needs

5. Falconer

Falconer Member

Thanks, I'll try that out. Didn't know MediaPlayerClassic captured video!