1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Capturing still frames of a DVD on my PC?

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by bbmn, Sep 22, 2004.

1. bbmn

bbmn Member

How would one go about capturing a still frame of a dvd as it plays on their dvd-rom?

For example, how would I go about getting a high quality still picture off of Predator of my favorite scene in the movie?

And what dpi would your technique for doing so result in? 72dpi? And what type of file would the capture be...jpg/bmp?

Thanks for any help :)

2. yojimbo2k

yojimbo2k Member

well I've been trying to do this myself, and so far I've discovered:

You can't use any normal tools like SnagIt or HyperCam as they work with DirectX and DVD's use overlays to play. Hence you get a nice black screen.

Most software DVD players have a Capture function built into them. Unfortunately they (generally) don't capture particularly large files - part of this is down to the fact that DVD resolution is not as high as you might like to think. Generally I end up with 72dpi jpegs, which is useless. So far I'm still searching for a good solution, because even at small res a 300 dpi TIFF will have decent expansion possibilities. I've been able to get reasonable images from WinDVD 6.

Hmm.... I'm starting to wonder if there might not be a better way... use DVDShrink to rip the small area with the image you want... convert the VOB to a high quality AVI using as high res settings as you can, play the result in a DX based video player and use SnagIt to capture in 300 DPI Tiff... must try that.

Anyway let me know if you hit on any good ideas.

3. hoofa

hoofa Member

I am also trying desperately to capture in high resolution. yojimbo2k, did you try ripping and capturing that way? the results?
    Have you thought of any easy Photoshop filters that the pics can be run through to increase look of it?

4. bbmn

bbmn Member

"
    Have you thought of any easy Photoshop filters that the pics can be run through to increase look of it?"

If memory serves there is a PS plugin called Genuine Fractals, I use it, and its very nice. It let's you change the size and resolution of any pic. This is only really relevant if you wish to print the pic and want it to be a high 300dpi resolution, as all pics displayed on your monitor are probably 72dpi and will look the same no matter how high you up their dpi...Again this won't improve the actual picture, just make it better for printing.

5. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Cyberlink PowerDVD 5 does it easily. Click the small camera button. Even lets you set the resolution.