1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

capturing video from mini dv

Discussion in 'Digital camcorders' started by danibigg, Aug 6, 2007.

1. danibigg

danibigg Member

Hi there, I am very new at this. I am trying to capture video from my JVC mini dv camera using dvd santa. after a few minutes, my computer shuts down without warning. i have tried using roxio and windows and the same thing is happening. i have tried to capture from the camera directly and I have also tried saving the videos on my computer and burning them from there but the computer keeps shutting down. i am running vista on a new computer.

2. attar

attar Senior member

3. PFloyd

PFloyd Regular member

What OS are you using?

4. danibigg

danibigg Member

i am using windows vista

5. pj98321

pj98321 Guest

I had the same problem capturing MiniDV after about 40-45 minutes the computer would crash in a huge way. Even wrecked one hard drive. Turned out the hard drive I was capturing to was overheating. I added a fan and moved the HDD to another spot inside the case. There are several free HDD temp monitoring utilities that I would recommend.

6. danibigg

danibigg Member

what would you recommend?

7. pj98321

pj98321 Guest

I'm trying 2 right now, DTemp and HDD Thermometer. Both are free. You will need a HDD that does S.M.A.R.T. monitoring which I think most new ones do.
    Update. The overheated HDD was not the only problem. It crashed again and I had to restore the system files which is not as much fun as you might think. I started looking at my RAM. I have 1.5 GB of DDR, 2 256 sticks and 1 1GB stick. They are the same brand and same specs, but when I try to use all of it the computer crashes. If I use the 2 256's together or the 1GB by itself it works fine. My guess is the chips are different and the computer doesn't like that. I have captured 2 60 minute clips and no problems.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2007