1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car audio in home

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by zike911, Mar 25, 2007.

1. zike911

zike911 Member

K so i just had a whole thread about voice-matching and how it is important to stay in the same family of speakers for quality. But this seems like quite an idea for me:
    How would it sound if i put 5 1/4" car audio speakers as satellite speakers in a 6.1 system? Reasons for this idea is that i can get a REALLY good deal, price wise, on some nice car speakers, and car audio, from my experience, is some powerful stuff.

Also, since home subwoofers are quite expensive, what would you say about doing the same thing with a car sub? (considering that fact that i'd have to get an ac/dc adapter and all)
    Suggestions?

2. Indochine

Indochine Regular member

Just my opinion, don't do it. The difference between car speakers and home speakers is that car speakers are designed to be used in cars. Car = small space. Even computer speakers don't sound half bad if you're right next to them in your little bedroom. What happens when you put them into a large room? They sound like crap. A quality home speaker has drivers that are designed to move a large volume of air and disperse it over a wide area. Car speakers cannot keep pace with quality home speakers in a large room. Period. Car subs are designed to rely heavily on "cabin gain". IOW, the reenforcement of lower frequencies in a small space. They are also designed to produce a "bump" in the mid-bass area because that's the sound kids like. The reality is that they don't accurately reproduce what the artist or sound engineer put down on the recording.

Also, car speakers are usually lower impedance and you run the risk of blowing both speaker and amplifier.

As one person said on a forum I googled, "Use apples with apples. Do not mate buffalo with dog."

3. JVC

JVC Active member

I agree with above poster.
    Car stuff isn't meant to be used in your house, or they would advertise them that way, to get more sold. ("These speakers work great in your home theater, as well as in your car!")

I've seen questions before about using car subwoofers, in the house, but never read them, since I wasn't interested. If you'll do a search, you may find some other opinions.

You might also want to check some HT Forums, and ask there. People that are into both (car and home equipment), are at those places. See here:
    http://forums.soundandvisionmag.com/
    http://www.myfreebulletinboard.com/f/index.php?mforum=theaudiolouge&mforum=theaudiolouge&act=idx
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htf/index.php
    Good luck!

4. zike911

zike911 Member

ya thanks alot for the input, i had a bunch of guys tell me the same thing on a different thread. I guess it makes sense, i mean it DOES make sense, so ya, thanks.