1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Car Sub For Home Theater System?

Discussion in 'Home Theater PC' started by navi95, Jan 25, 2005.

1. navi95

navi95 Regular member

Hi,

I would like to know if I Could use a car sub ( i got a spare 1) and make a box for it and then hook it up to my Yamaha A/V receiver??

Just like to know if its possible,

Thanx

Navi95

2. djscoop

djscoop Active member

its possible, but I honestly don't know how good it will work. First, car subs are designed to be placed in a small amount of square footage...ie a car. Home theatre subs are designed to fill up a whole room. Another issue is ohms. Car subs run anywhere from 1 to 4 ohms, where as home theatre systems run on normally 8 ohms, but sometimes 6 and 16. So if your yamaha amp has an amp built in, you better make sure you match the ohms, because if you hook up a 4 ohm sub to a 8 ohm and up only amp, you're gonna cook your receiver. So all in all, yes, its possible, but in my opinion it wouldn't sound that good.

3. navi95

navi95 Regular member

Thanx for that.

I was just curious and ive got sum spare time.

Pobly wont in the end n just buy, a bit easier :D

thanx anyway

4. kyle_101

kyle_101 Guest

I have tried this before and it sounds fine in my opinion, but what i would do is to get a car amp, use a downstepper to take the current coming out of your wall from whatever it is and downstep it to 12v same as what the car amp would use in the car then just sonnect the sub to the car amp and its fine.

5. navi95

navi95 Regular member

Its alrite thanx, i decided to buy a new sound system in the end anyway.

Thanx for the comment though.

6. squizzle

squizzle Active member

good decision. I have friends who did this and went through a set of subs or a receiver every 6 months.

7. Logik666

Logik666 Regular member

lol. went through subs and recievers every 6 months. youd' theyd learn at least after the 2nd time.

8. squizzle

squizzle Active member

some people never learn.

I tried to explain it, then he asked if I could bridge his receiver like it was a car stereo amp. I told him all the risks involved, he wanted it done anyways, so I did it. It got a lot louder....for about 10 seconds. Then it popped a breaker. After about 6 tries at that we agreed....don't bridge the home receiver.