1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Care and Handling Guide for the Preservation of CDs and DVDs

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Montecore, Jan 5, 2005.

1. Montecore

Montecore Member

Being scientific as I am, this should be a sticky for all to view and learn more about the do's and don't's of this technology.

http://hometheater.about.com/gi/dyn...mpatibility.htm

Especially read:

"Care and Handling Guide for the Preservation of CDs and DVDs" produced by the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST)

www.itl.nist.gov/div895/carefordisc

Great stuff for the scientific minded and boring for others. Enjoy!

Curious to hear about your own experiences.

2. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

National Institute of Standards and Technology
    I do not buy the solvent in a felt tip marker is going to hurt a DVD or CD as long as you do not get carried away and color in the whole disc.

3. Montecore

Montecore Member

Thanks for the summary, yes that was there as well.

I noticed one thing that jumped out is there is NO mention of storage in CD wallets?

There can be many reasons why others had failures in wallets. We do not know how they labeled their media (stickers, harmful ink/solvent..etc), we do not know the condition how these were stored or where they were stored. We don't know the brand or media code used as well.

I never have used labels since I did not want to be out the expense for that or the ink to print them on. They are just used for my own use so I don't need to impress myslef. I have always used a thin tip permanent marker....not those big fat tips...since the less ink on the top surface the better. I have always wrote on the top side and not around the hub area where there is no data.

I also have not bought super high quality wallets either and still after 15 years (knock-on-wood) I have no problems.

I am new to the DVD world so don't have many of those yet but that collection is growing.

I agree there is NOT enough evidence out there to remove the idea that CD wallets are the culprit for degrading DVD's. I have only read in a few posts here and there about this issue, but many variables were not even mentioned. One idea that may contribute to this matter is the potential of that soft material to absorb mositure from the air and cause damage that way.

I would say using CD Wallets for 15 years is a good test of time, wouldn't you?

4. rroettger

rroettger Regular member

The report mentions to avoid materials that hold water, as polycarbonates will adsorb moisture.

5. Montecore

Montecore Member

But there was no specific mention of CD wallets specifically but they do talk about a few other types of cases. Even cases themselves can hold mositure.