1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Catastrophic Chinese warehouse blasts that killed 50

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by ireland, Aug 13, 2015.

1. ireland

ireland Active member

Was badly stored cyanide to blame for the catastrophic Chinese warehouse blasts that killed 50? Panicked families flee 'toxic cloud' after
    • At least 50 people killed including 12 firefighters and more than 700 injured after massive blasts in Tianjin, China
    • Explosion erupted in warehouse thought to contain sodium cyanide, a deadly chemical that can kill rapidly if inhaled
    • Officials fuel panic by refusing to say what was being stored or offering any explanation for cause of the disaster
    • Dramatic videos of the explosion show flames erupting into the night sky as residents told how windows shattered

Hundreds of families have fled their homes amid fears a cocktail of deadly chemicals had been spewed into the atmosphere after two huge explosions rocked the Chinese port city of Tianjin.

At least 50 people have died and 700 injured after the blasts erupted at a warehouse for hazardous materials, leaving an apocalyptic landscape of incinerated cars, crumpled shipping containers and burnt-out buildings.

It is believed the warehouse contained at least 700 tonnes of sodium cyanide, a toxic chemical that can kill rapidly if inhaled, as well as other highly flammable and dangerous materials.

As chemical experts were sent to assess the scene, officials fuelled panic by refusing to say what was being stored or offering any explanation for the cause of the disaster.

The incident has raised questions – also as yet unanswered – about whether the materials had been properly stored.

Scroll down for video

GO HERE TO VIEW PICTURES AND VIDEOS

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...st-explosives-shipment-hits-Chinese-city.html

2. Mez

Mez Active member

Cyanide was responsible for osa and msds sheets. Everyone in the factory died when a large bag of silver cyanide was emptied into the wrong vat. The USA started losing manufacturer jobs after the Start of osa and the e p a . Safety does come a cost. the USA trade balance started to shift as we lost manufacturer jobs. Well maybe the Chinese will level the playing field.

3. ps355528

ps355528 Active member

I'm just worried about where we will get all our plastic halloween crap this year

4. Mez

Mez Active member

They will all w ays will be there. I am released someone has their eye on the ball.

5. Nepheler

Nepheler Member

That was a logistics warehouse, not a factory.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

Do you think that makes a difference? I don't think so. It is all about perception.

7. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

8. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

Articles in the news indicate that the chemicals were not supposed to be there and government officials turned away from addressing the issue.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2015
  9. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

Let's not forget this little accident. Population control at it's best.
    Bhopal: The World's Worst Industrial Disaster, 30 Years Later
    Alan Taylor
    Thirty years ago, on the night of December 2, 1984, an accident at the Union Carbide pesticide plant in Bhopal, India, released at least 30 tons of a highly toxic gas called methyl isocyanate, as well as a number of other poisonous gases. The pesticide plant was surrounded by shanty towns, leading to more than 600,000 people being exposed to the deadly gas cloud that night. The gases stayed low to the ground, causing victims throats and eyes to burn, inducing nausea, and many deaths. Estimates of the death toll vary from as few as 3,800 to as many as 16,000, but government figures now refer to an estimate of 15,000 killed over the years. Toxic material remains, and 30 years later, many of those who were exposed to the gas have given birth to physically and mentally disabled children. For decades, survivors have been fighting to have the site cleaned up, but they say the efforts were slowed when Michigan-based Dow Chemical took over Union Carbide in 2001. Human rights groups say that thousands of tons of hazardous waste remain buried underground, and the government has conceded the area is contaminated. There has, however, been no long-term epidemiological research which conclusively proves that birth defects are directly related to the drinking of the contaminated water.

10. Mez

Mez Active member

I remember the event well. I worked in a chemical plant. That was before government safety oversight in the US. We never learned the particulars but I bet they could have put a water hose down a vent and opened it full throttle before running away. Water will damper almost any chemical reaction. It will turn to steam for awhile but will eventually cool the reaction so much it kills it. The standing joke at our plant was with millions of gallons of super flammable liquids you would never out run the fireball if you ran from a disaster at a distillery. There is nothing like quick decisive actions as a disaster starts to unfold to stop it in its tracks. Then you go back to sitting on your ass. Those workers didn't understand that concept and all died.

11. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

Mez, it is clearly stated in this documentary, if water is introduced to the particular chemical involved the reaction goes critical. You might appreciate the video.

12. Mez

Mez Active member

Yes I found the video very interesting. The disaster was due to multiple equipment malfunctions which is similar to 3 mile island. BTW they did try hitting the vent with a fire hose and had a helicopter with a huge water tank like the ones used for forestfires hovering over the vent in case it blew. So water in the vent would have worked except the vent was too high to reach. You miss understand the water part. The gas got turned into a solution in the body making it more dangerous. Ammonia would do the same except ammonium hydroxide (liquid ammonia) is not nearly as lethal as seven, a cyanide compound.

Thanks I was always interested in this disaster and the video was excellent.

13. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

Good deal Mez. Stay cool.
    Where are you from? I'm Virginia, USA

14. Mez

Mez Active member

The other side of the river. I live in Derwood with is better kno0wn as Shady Grove.The grove held music concerts in the 60 and 70s

15. cyclops1

cyclops1 Member

WOW, small world. I used to workout of an office on Shady Grove @ Gaither Rd. . I've lived in the metro area since 1976.
    Went to DC public schools. Live in Woodbridge now, for the last 27 years. I used to go to concerts @ Capital Center, actually have video tape of it's implosion.
    So your near Derwood/Needwood Pond I guess? Who knows, we might even know some of the same people from over there.

16. Mez

Mez Active member

Yes I live behind the lake. Our boys used to hunt critters in Rock creek park behind or house when that was fun for them. Many of our neighbors have been in their homes for 30-40 yrs.