1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

caution with sony dru500 firmware update

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by framerman, Dec 12, 2002.

1. framerman

framerman Regular member

I have rendered my drive incapable of detecting store bought dvd movies. Apparently when you download the firmware from Sony (1.0f) you must make sure you follow directions carefully. From what tech support told me, I was supposed to diable the dma settings in the atapi controller dialog in system settings before I installed the firmware update. Nice of them to inform me of that before I did it. I have to say that I have not been impressed with this drive since I bought it at Best Buy in early October. It has never worked properly since day one. My father has one also and he has similar problems. Now I have a $350 cd burner. Does anyone have any better luck with this drive, or maybe someone can tell me how to fix this thing before I pull out the sledge and kill it. Sony wants me to send it to them for testing. Great. What am I supposed to do in the meantime?

2. teabelly

teabelly Member

Hello
    there is a text file that comes with the update which tells you that certain software has to be un-installed and also it says to disable dma, well there are a few people on other boards who have upgraded without disabling dma etc, In my case I tried to upgrade with DMA and the Intel accelerater installed but it would not upgrade, untill I disabled DMA and uninstalling the software mentioned in the upgrade. I am very pleased with my sony dru500a and it writes 2.4x now havn't tried 4x as I have no media as yet.I also own a pioneer ao3 which has been has given good service for the last year. Where did you download your update ?. Have you tried the update again as per Sony instructions...
    cheers de John

3. framerman

framerman Regular member

I downloaded at the Sony website. There was absolutely no text file stating anything of the sort. I contacted Sony (I waited on hold for 45 minutes), the woman I talked to said it goes directly into your firmware. It goes on your drive. You cannot uninstall it. It is too late. Unless she was misinformed, I would like to know how to uninstall this firmware and reinstall correctly. The drive will play and burn cd's and even play my ripped dvd's. But when I try to put in a store bought dvd, it won't recognize anything. It's the whole point of having the drive in the first place (at least mine). I now have gone out and bought a TDK DVD+RW. The only reasons why is it burns +rw's which I have a shitload of now, and that's all that Best Buy had. Gotta say, it's decrypting way faster than the sony ever could dream of.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2002
  4. framerman

framerman Regular member

Whoa, I just used dvd decrypter to rip a dvd in 10 minutes! Maybe I had my settings different in my Sony, but it took 25 minutes easy with that.