1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CCE speed and compression

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by mccoy5, Jun 25, 2004.

1. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

I have been trying to get to grips with cce/rebuilder, after some teething problems getting it set up(as some of you know), I have just copied lord of the rings, this is a long movie but it took 8-min for phase one, 623 mins for phase two, and 22 mins for phase three.
    The comression ratio was 50%, I did have half d1 set but got 0% movie improvement from extra reduction, the speed i noticed ranged from 0.5 - 0.65. I also made sure i turned off norton ect. Is there anyway of getting a better performance out of this. ie less compression and a little faster?

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

That's definitely slower than it should be since I remember you saying you have a P4 1.7GHz. As I mentioned to you before, my Celeron 1.7GHz gets a speed of around 1 (usually a little higher). The next time you encode, open the task manager and look at what CCE's CPU percentage is. It should be close to 100% most of the time. If you still have the required files from your last project, you could re-encode the first segment or 2 just to check your CPU usage as well.

Edit: I'm assuming this is a second encode with the movie since you originally reported a time of 540 minutes (much closer to what you should get) in the other thread. I'm just trying to figure out why it would have slowed down.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 25, 2004
  3. siber

siber Regular member

vurbal: just to give you a little feedback with a different computer. I followed your guide with Rebuilder/CCE. I have no idea what my CPU percentage was. Never checked. I do have a Pentium4 3.0Gz, 1Gb of 3200 RAM. I processed LOR III with 10 min/135 min/ about 15-20 min. Phase 2 with Mystic River took 112 minutes.

4. vurbal

siber,
    That sounds about right for LOTR with your CPU. I don't know how long Mystic River is, but if it's a long movie that's about what I'd expect as well.

5. siber

siber Regular member

Sorry, Mystic River is 138 minutes. Thanks for the info. Again, great work. Rebuilder/CCE is EASY to use and the quality of the transfer makes me not care when I'll find cheap DL DVD media.

6. vurbal

That's probably right for Mystic River then. It's a little on the slow side, but some movies are just like that. It's still within the range I'd expect, so I think you're set. Now if we can just figure out what's slowing mccoy5 down...

7. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

I tried running cce again and had a look at my cpu usage, in pahse1 it was about 89%, during phase 2 it was 100%. Dont know what else to try.
    The movie I tried in the other thread was different (platoon about 1hours 55min long) to the one I burnt last night (lord of the rings retun of the kings). Sorry forgot to mention that. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

8. vurbal

It's a little strange that it's only 89% in Phase 1, but Phase 2 seems fine obviously (unless somebody knows a way to get more than 100% CPU usage) so I'm still confused by your PC's performance. My laptop (with the Celeron 1.7GHz) sometimes slows down to that speed, but I've always been able to solve it with a reboot (or 3)and I've assumed that it was because the CPU was being throttled back because it's a laptop. In any case, you definitely should get faster encodes than my 900MHz Athlon (it gets between .8 and 1.0) so there must be something that can be done. I'll have to give it some thought.

9. siber

siber Regular member

mccoy5, you have defragmented your HD recently, right? When you boot up, do you think the process takes any longer than it used to? Do you have a registry cleaner? Have you cleaned out all useless/temporary files? Have you used a program like Spybot to get rid of Spyware/Adware? I don't think these issues matter that much but make sure they are done anyway.

10. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

I will give my machine a defrag to see if it helps, as for spyware ect i do check it regularly with spy bot, when it boots up it seems ok, not perticularly slow. I will do a bit of maintenance and see if it helps.

11. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

I have tried defrac etc, it has made no difference at all. I am still running the demo of cce sp 2.67 would this be a restriction of the demo version?

12. vurbal

No, it's not. I suppose it's possible it's a memory problem, but if that was the case I would think it wouldn't finish at all. If CCE can't get the memory it wants it will just keep requesting it until Windows "runs out". Actually I've had it run out just because the pagefile got used up, even though there was still almost 100MB of free physical memory. How often do you reboot your PC? More importantly, did you happen to reboot in between encodes? If not, reboot and try starting again.

Edit: Don't kill me for being a dumb#%!@ (you're going to want to - trust me), but I just now noticed that you were resizing to half D1, and I think you were close in your original post about that slowing it down. The thing is, it's probably not the compression. It's AviSynth resizing. With the default Rebuilder AVS files there isn't anything that adds a significant amount of time, but resizing is different. It can add significant CPU cycles to AviSynth's frameserving process, so that may be what caused the problem. There's an AviSynth plugin that can actually tell you how long various filters take (ie actual CPU time), but I haven't used it so I can't be more specific. If you want I can look into it and let you know what you need to run it and give you instructions, but since I actually re-read your post and saw that important detail, I'm pretty sure the resize is slowing you down by probably the difference between the speed I thought you should get and the speed you are getting. That would also explain the lower CPU usage on the first pass, since there's a little less for CCE to do on that pass anyway, so you noticed the AviSynth slowdown more in CPU utilization.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
    Backup A DVD With DVD Rebuilder & CCE Basic: http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/dvd_rebuilder_tutorial.cfm[/small]

Last edited: Jun 26, 2004
  13. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

Do you think it would be worth running without the half d1 setting on, just to see if it speed things up a bit?
    if I cant get it any faster prehaps I will use it over night so as not to tie my pc up too long. I might have to use somthing else on the smaller movies, and leave this for the 'epics'.

14. vurbal

Yeah, that would probably be the best way to test it. Keep in mind that the performance does vary from one movie to another, so if you get anywhere from .8 to 1.1 you're probably doing as well as your CPU will allow.

15. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

tried to burn lord of the rings again, this time it took 656 mins for phase 2, (thats nearly 11 hours)and I didn't see the speed go over .6. I also turned off half d1. Any other ideas what I can try?

16. vurbal

Other than reinstalling Windows, I'm out of suggestions. Sorry.

17. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

Do you think that would work? prehaps I might try it if all else fails... Thanks for all your help anyway. If i get it sorted i will let you know

18. vurbal

Yeah, it might help. I noticed that you posted on Doom9 and nobody there seemed to know what's going on either, so I can't see what would cause this other than some kind of Windows problem. If you reinstall, I'd recommend getting DVD Rebuilder and CCE setup before anything else so you can test it under a sort of control condition. If it runs the same speed at that point, I'd have to say that's the best speed you're going to get. Maybe it's just a CPU issue, but I hope not.

19. 64026402

64026402 Active member

You also need to check cpu temp.
    High temps on a P4 can slow things down without errors because of the throttling.
    Check your cpu and power supply fan.

My Dual athlons are running about 1.95 speed on the Matrix that I am encoding again. I'll have to check speed on my next big movie. I think it was lower when I did Braveheart. It was 3hrs to encode.

20. mccoy5

mccoy5 Member

I thought i would ask at doom9, if anyone else had any ideas before I reformatted as from experience i know this will take all weekend..
    I have had a look at the temp of my machine and it didn't seem to be running hot.I am going to test my ram tonight and also load the newer version of rebuilder, lets see if any of this helps?