1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ccomputer keeps shutting off

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by markus50, Jul 16, 2007.

1. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Sounds like it isn't attached properly. If that happens there's no conduction between your CPU and the heatsink. You've checked to make sure it's making good contact?

2. markus50

markus50 Member

I think it is, all 4 mounting screws are in tightly. But just for shits and giggles, i tried putting in the old heatsink and the same thing is happening, so i must have done something that is preventing the connectivity.

3. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You must have gone through a fair bit of thermal paste... :-(

4. markus50

markus50 Member

lol you could say that. But yea, I dunno whats up. Im gonna take it off again and check the back plate that goes under the motherboard, as that is the only thing that is different when I put the old heatsink in and it still didnt stay on.

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If you couldn't get that heatsink to work, I wonder whether the problem is something else. Have you tried checking all the power connections in your PC?

6. markus50

markus50 Member

argh! Ok, I found that I had two jumpers mixed up so i switched them and now it stays on, but now I have no picture coming out! I connected my monitor to my laptop so I know it works, and when i try connecting the monitor to both the video card and the onboard video card on the motherboard, neither work. Ideas?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Then it's powered but it isn't booting. Try reseating all cards/memory, and replugging all power connections.

8. markus50

markus50 Member

yea, i'll try that right now. Wow, i really hope im not gonna need to replace the cpu and motherboard. When I was trying to install the heatsink, I probably applied and took of thermal compound like 10 times, is it possible i did some damage to it?

9. markus50

markus50 Member

I disconnected all the power cables and reconnected, took out the ram and video card, reinstalled, still same issue. Mobo aint booting.

10. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check that the cmos jumper is in default mode & not clear mode because pc won't post in clear mode.