1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD BURNER!!!!!!

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by T.kelly, Jan 14, 2004.

1. T.kelly

T.kelly Member

Hi, my CD Burner just died, it was a ATAPI CD-RW 16/12/40X and it wasn't that good; I'm going to purchase a new one, anyone have any ideas on a good model to purchase, or is a DVD burner better, as far as lasting longer than just under 2 yrs?

I would appreciate any advice.

Take Care.

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

If you're just going to have one drive in your PC a DVD burner will give you the most bang for your buck.

3. T.kelly

T.kelly Member

Thanks for the info.

Do you know what the life span of a DVD burner is?

DVD discs: which are the best & besides the amount of storage (over 4 gig's) are they any better for archiving than CD R's? Are the discs more durable?

Take care.

4. Nephilim

Unless you're duping DVDs all day every day a good quality DVD burner will last a long time.

As far as good discs many here, myself included, prefer Ritek discs. Riteks are consistant, give excellent results, great compatibility and can be had for around a buck apiece (give or take).

There's not much difference for archiving as long as you buy quality discs (especially for DVDs) although DVDs are less tolerant of scratches due to the amount of info being packed into the same size disc. A scratch that wouldn't bother a CD can cause problems for a DVD. TDK manufactues "Armor Plated" DVDs that are supposed to be pretty dang tough to scratch but last time I checked they were like four bucks a pop.

5. T.kelly

T.kelly Member

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it.

I was looking at the LG LCDVRW055 Internal DVD+/-RW Drive, the Hewlett Packard DVD400i Internal CD/DVD-RW Drive, and the Pioneer DVR-A06USPK4 Dual DVD+/-R/RW Writer. I heard that HP is a good make and it comes with a software bundle; ArcSoft ShowBiz 2.0, RecordNow, and PowerDVD.

Any thoughts?

Take care.

6. Nephilim

If I was the one spending, I would pick the Pioneer A06 out of the three. Top quality from an established leader in DVD burners. I don't have any experience with HP's equipment so I can't really say. You might to run a search on it in the "DVD Drives" forum here to see what others think about them.

7. T.kelly

T.kelly Member

Thanks, I will do that.

Take care.

8. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Yeah, go for the DVD burner because it will save you a drive bay if you ever want to add something else. Then you can you as a 3-in-1 CD burner, DVD player, and DVD burner. You might want to get a +RW/-RW burner too so that you can burn on all DVD formats, but as long as you don't buy some cheap out-of-business Cendyne, you should just wait for a good deal with rebate from BestBuy, Circuit City, Staples, or CompUSA. They have one on sale every week.

9. cleft

cleft Member

Hmmm, reading those that have posted here before me, they have given you excellent advice. If you need a new burner/reader, get a quality dvd burner. They will support what you need to do and give you additional capabilities.

10. T.kelly

T.kelly Member

Thanks allot for the advice guy's, you have all been a tremendous help, especially Nephilim!!

I will post what modle I get, most likely the Pioneer A06; hopfully soon I can give good advice also. This is a great forum that I visit at least once a day, since I joined up about a week ago, I will be here often.

Take care.

11. Nephilim

A fine choice indeed. We look foreward to hearing from you :)

12. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I have a sony dru510a I have had few problems, but I would buy a Pioneer next time. The sony has had a lot of bad press lately, even though I am happy with mine - it suits my system - I would be reluctant to recommend it.