1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD burning problems

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Garry1963, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Garry1963

Garry1963 Member

I have had an ATAPI CD-RW burner for nearly eight years now and up until recently no problems. Until now.

When I insert a blank cd in to the burner I have to re-enter the disc several times before it is accepted. After pre-buffering the burning process fails with the message "a medium error has occured" or "cannot write to the device" I am using Ashampoo Burning Suite 6. I then tried to burn the discs through another application (JetAudio) with the same failings.

Could this be a lens problem? or will I need a firmware update?

thanks

2. Mez

Mez Active member

I would guess it is a problem with ashampoo. WMP sometimes does the same thing so it is best not to use it unless you need coasters.

3. animal99

animal99 Member

Here is a something I have learned about "No MEDIA in Drive" message in Windows.

I had to buy a new DVD burner drive (I wanted to upgrade, anyway), and when my Aopen DUW1608/ARR (Firmware

Rev. A110) drive couldnt recognize these cheap MEMOREX (and VERBATIM) CDs, that cinched it - I went out

and bought a drive.

As it turns out, my NEW drive [Liteon iHAS324 , firmware BL1W] couldnt recognize these disks, either!

Heres the kick-in-the-head part: It turns out, it isnt the DRIVEs fault, its WINDOWS! (2K, XP, Vista

and W7)

It has to do with UPPER and LOWER FILTERS, in windows. Here is an article that best explains it:

[www.askdrtech.com/solutions/post/Deleting-Upper-and-Lower-Filters-a-fix-for-CDDVD-reading-proble

ms.aspx]

I didnt believe it either but apparently MICROSOFT has a fix for it.

[download.microsoft.com/download/2/C/B/2CB64817-A269-4116-818D-B85F3029EA89/MicrosoftFixit50027.m

si]

After applying the fix, now my 4 year old drive (and the new LITEON 24x DVD burner) can both read the disks

just fine!

After applying the fix, my old CHEAP drive can now recognize the CDs made by CMC magnetics, which include

MEMOREX 52x CDs and VERBATIM 52x CDs (bought in bulk at my local SAMS Club)