1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd copy protection : cactus etc...

Discussion in 'Audio' started by bibboo, Jul 10, 2003.

1. bibboo

bibboo Guest

it's the first really protection that I met,
    the producers are so proud of it etc...

just take the freeware exact audio copy
    and rip the cd into wav files

sotty guys but you need to work a litlle bit harder to make really protections

ps: i tried to copy the cd because i wanted a backup for myself. If you like the music go buy the cd. we all need to help the poor artist :)

2. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

Congrats. This doesn't work with all drives. So could you please post some details - might be helpful for others.

What drive/firmware was used?

What CD / Cactus Data Shield version?

Did you have to use EAC's "Detect TOC manually" - and what other settings did you use (Secure mode, Cache, C2)?

Thanks

3. bibboo

bibboo Guest

euhhh :)

just did it with my sony dvd-rom.
    i'm not at home for a time but if i remember right clonexxl told me it was cactus 4 etc...

for the settings : i didn't did something special. just clicked on the 'extract to compressed file' or something like that.

didn't it work with you?

ps sorry for my bad english

4. tigre

tigre Moderator Staff Member

With some drives it did, with others it didn't (CDS 200).

E.g.:

- Plextor PX-W1210A: Needed "Detect TOC manually" to find audio tracks at all and lowered extraction speed (4x) to avoid "gap after ~10 seconds of song" error. Some tracks returned different CRCs on each extraction (<10 positions returned different sample values each time). With these settings no audible problems.

- LG DRD8120B: All audio tracks were found and extracted with standard settings but there were rhythmical clicks in the songs, more or less audible, depending on the volume of the music.

- Samsung SW-252: Worked fine without any special settings but extraction speed was lowered to ~4x (probably because of the drive trying to correct C2 errors).

So you're lucky that you own that Sony drive. I hope it's clear now that somehow detaild reports can be helpful to other ppl, especially if someone wants to buy a new drive and needs help for deciding which.