1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd covers on my backups a bad idea

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by drogomir, Feb 11, 2007.

1. drogomir

drogomir Regular member

I have a modded xbox 360 and i decided to spice up my backup games by putting some covers on them. I use the glossy white cd labels from "CD STOMPER". I attempted to play my nba2k7 backup and my xbox 360 said that it need to download an update for this game. I downloaded the update then played the game for about five minutes then the my 360 paused and said that the disc was unreadable. Now it wont read any of my backups. I decided to tear of the cd labels and its reading them now. I don't understand the problem. I'm using verbatim dvd+r dl media. Does anyone know what went wrong. Should i have used glossy CLEAR cd labels instead of Glossy WHITE cd labels. Anyone familiar with this problem, please let me know. I have the NME v1.1 mod chip which should be able to go on xbox live without being detected. Thanks

2. motomods

motomods Regular member

all i can say is that i had the exact same problem. I have xtreme 5.2 tho.. i am guessing the laser cannot read the disc correctly.

3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

To anwwer your question, you should have put labels on your disks; period.

The label causes the data written onto the disk to deteriate cos it damages disk. It renders them unreadable and a real pain in the arse. Also, if the label slips, it can throw off the balance on the disk.

If you want to print onto disks, get yourself an inkjet printer that supports printing to disks. Or lightscribe.

It's got nothing to do with what mod chip you have etc etc.

4. CrowDUDE

CrowDUDE Member

I was also using those glossy labels and my DVD player could not read the DVD properly afterwards, I ripped the label off and the problem was gone, i don't use labels anymore. I think printers with lightscribe is the way to go..

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

The best way to get the lables off is to soak them in soapy water.

Don't get confused. Printers print to 'inkjet printable' disks. This uses ink and prints to the blank disk.
    Lightscribe is where your dvd drive uses the laser to "print" an image from your computer onto special lightscrieb disks.

You don't get printers, with lightscribe. Two diff. things ;-)

6. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

oh man sorry to hear that you can get them off with water and scratching

what happens is when dvds spin at high speeds the disc expands, and its designed to expand, but when you put a label on the label restricts the expansion because paper and dics( polycarbnate) expand at diferent rates, this causes the disc to warp.

never use labels on anything.

7. Memnock

Memnock Active member

Yep, I learned a long time ago labels suck. It's only printable discs or sharpie for me.

8. drogomir

drogomir Regular member

Yeah, thanks alot guys for the quick response.i'd like to know how i can print to my disc though. Man, i freaked out when i saw that it could not read my disc. I thought all my disc were garbage now. They looked so good with the covers too. anyways, u live and u learn.

9. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well...

:)

10. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

Verbatim makes printable dvd+r dl's. You'd need a printer which supports disc printing, though. But the printers are easy to find and inexpensive.

11. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Epson R200/300 is a good choice of printer. ;-)

12. itzjonny

itzjonny Regular member

Im doing the same thing but you said it worked without the label, so i took the label off and tried it, still get the disc unreadable error.

I think its just time for me to upgrade my firmware to the latest, i think i may have xtreme 2.0 or somthing, so its best for me to upgrade now i think?

13. Ripper

Ripper Active member

If you want to save the disk, you can try re-ripping it in your PC's drive.

There are a few things you can do...

Try to clean the disc with toothpaste or alcohol, wiping fron the center of the disk straight to it's outer edge (not in a circular motion).

Then try re-ripping.

Your drives firmware (xbox or pc) shouldn't matter when it comes to burnt disks... if they are booktyped to dvd-Rom that is. Otherwise, it may be worth an update.