1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd drive wont read any dics

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by trixit, Jul 16, 2007.

1. trixit

trixit Guest

everytime i put a cd in the cd drive something pops up and says make sure you have the ride cd or take the cd out and put it back in and start application over. well i do it like fifty times and nothing happens. the same thing happens over and over agian. and it even does it to discs ive been using for like a year, and its now all of the sudden it doesnt work. so what the hell do i do?

2. JVC

JVC Active member

Try this:
    Go into your Device Manager, and find your drive. Right click on it, and choose "Uninstall". After it uninstalls, reboot, and let Windows detect new hardware, and install new a driver for you.

3. Mr_Del

Mr_Del Regular member

Sounds like a diry lense to me. If the above suggestion does not work then consider cleaning it. Best way - Open the cd/DVD drive (meaning take it apart).

Take it appart carfully. Do not force anything. Normaly after removing the screws that hold it togeather you will only be able to access the bottem of the drive. You will have to pop the top cover off after removing the bottom. Once the top cover is off you will see the laser head.

Now to clean it. This is where many opinions will start, What do you clean it with? I take a cotton swab and rubbing alchohol. one quick twist of alcohol soaked swab on the laser and your all done. Put it back togeather and then try out the drive. If this or the above do not work then go shopping.

-Del