1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD/DVD drive not recognised

Discussion in 'DVD-ROM drives' started by kit444, Nov 8, 2007.

1. kit444

kit444 Member

My CD/DVD drive is not recognising anything. So I thought I would reinstall everything but the drive does not even recognise the operating disc. It just seems to bypass the cd and it loads windows.

I uninstall the CD/DVD drive from Control panel/System/hardware/device manager.(by the way the device manager says this device is working properly) but its still the same. Can anyone help, please.

kit444

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

have you tried changing the boot sequence in the bios to see if will boot off your windows cd? could be the laser lens or circuit has died but won't show that to windows so probably need a new drive whether a reader or burner.

3. MrPhister

MrPhister Member

if youre running windows xp try this, it should work:

Step 1: Start Registry Editor
    Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK. Registry Editor starts.
    Step 2: Delete the UpperFilters registry entry
    1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
    3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
    4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    5. In the right pane (topic area), click UpperFilters.

Note An UpperFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the UpperFilters registry entry, you must click UpperFilters and not UpperFilters.bak.
    6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the UpperFilters registry entry:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    The UpperFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.

Note Do not exit Registry Editor. You must have this program for the next step.
    Step 3: Delete the LowerFilters registry entry
    1. In Registry Editor, expand My Computer, and then expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.
    2. Expand SYSTEM, and then expand CurrentControlSet.
    3. Expand Control, and then expand Class.
    4. Under Class, click {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}.
    5. In the right pane (topic area), click LowerFilters.

Note An LowerFilters.bak registry entry may also appear. To delete the LowerFilters registry entry, you must click LowerFilters and not LowerFilters.bak.
    6. On the Edit menu, click Delete.
    7. When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm the deletion of the LowerFilters registry entry:
    Are you sure you want to delete this value?
    The LowerFilters registry entry is removed from the {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} registry subkey.
    8. Exit Registry Editor.

Step 4: Restart the computer
    If a CD recording program no longer works after you restart the computer, you must reinstall the CD recording program.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2007