1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-DVD Storage

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by btfjf, Apr 5, 2007.

1. btfjf

btfjf Member

I am trying to decide whether or not to make back-up dvd's of the dvd's I have just made from my old vhs tapes-These tapes contain my holidays from the past 20 years-My wife wants me to throw out the old vhs tapes,but I am hesitant-What if the disc's get damaged beyond repair, etc.I am also confused about labels-In the earlier post by HALEN5150,it said to read this article for excellent advice about this topic-A quote from it caught my eye-"4)" Mark with a soft marker or a label (on the nonread side). Avoid using pens, pencils, or any sharp objects on the disc. - Here it says to "mark with a label"-yet on most other forums it says to stay away from labels-I have put labels(photo quality) on every cd-dvd I've burnt and have had no problems with them in any player at all(Yet!)-So, really I have 2 questions:1. Labels good or bad? and 2. Back-up cd-dvd's, and if yes, which method is recomended(I was thinking Winzip for size, although I don't know if it can be used for this purpose)-or maybe burning it as a data file?...Any help much appreciated. Thank You.

2. BIGTOXY69

BIGTOXY69 Regular member

It depends !If you are putting your Dvd Dubs( recordings from your Vhs tapes ) onto The best DVD media Like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media Then Maybe You could skip the backup disc ? But I am getting the feeling that you have alreday made a decision have'nt you ? If you are going to Throw the VHS originals out to please your wife ? Then Yes I would make atlesst one backup Copy of all your tapes or the Dvd's you've already made from them ! Then store them away in safe Place ! As to putting labels on DVD media NO NO NO! it will get you if you do ! You'll have problems trust me ! You can use a Sharpie pen , A thermal Printer or Inkjet Printer with the Appropriate media if you want fancy Artwork like Store bought movies ! But keep in mind Inkjet printable Dvd media is more expensive than regular media & Ink& printer cost too ! Thermal printers are not too too expensive But I would go sharpie pens myself ! they are inexpensive & they work ! Hope that helps you out some? Ciao!

3. btfjf

btfjf Member

Thanks BIGTOXY69 for your quick response...Is thermal media the same as "Lightscribe"?..."Inkjet Printer with the Appropriate media"-I have an ink-jet printer and use photo quality labels (more pricier than the basic paper label)-is this what you mean by "appropiate media"? I realize that labels needed for dvd disc usage are more costlier, but sometimes I make dvd's for family and friends, and like to give them a finished disc that has a bit of pizazz, as opposed to looking like my Offices' general use disc's(labelled with Sharpie's)-I guess I could use all Lightscribe disc's all the time, but the cost for that would be higher as well..I have been hoping that Lightscribe will eventually come out with true (or least some) other colours, though.Having everything in basic gold (and shades thereof gets boring quite quickly)Of course the wife has a major input to all this, but I like it too.Your thoughts?

4. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I'm keeping my old VHS and 8mm home vids on tape,but I also have backups on quality dvd media. I my tapes are stored away and hidden-some being 22 yrs old and still ok.

They said dvd backups were suppose to last 100+ yrs,but this may not be true.You also have to watch out for how you store them-out of sunlight and kept vertically.

Re-ripping your backups for other copies:This can be very simple-if you have a very good backup copy to start with,or can be difficult-if has a lot of little errors or errors on the wrong spots.

There's a lot of factors with dvd backups,and make them as good as possible:

1)Media quality-dye breakdown

2)Burn speed-if burned at max speed-it'll add those small errors up.

3)Burner quality-Not all dvd burners are alike.Some are stronger than others,therefore giving us backups with fewer of those little PIE/PIF errors. There's also some crappy burners out there.Some of the better drives perform better at a faster burn speed-so slow burning may be bad on them.

4) No multi-tasking during the backup process

5) Keep HD/s defragged

6) Avoid those slapped on sticker labels-definite no no. Stand alone players will have a higher chance of getting playback issues.

Original Questions in opening post:

#1) Labels good? Inkjet printable media is very good,but only the quality brands Verbatim,Taiyo Yuden,and Maxell hitachi.Beware of the rest.
    If purchasing off the net,don't get the inkjet printables mixed up with thermal printables.The shiny silver are made in both thermal and inkjet printable.

The epson stylus photo R series printers can be easily had at Staple's,Bestbuy,Sam's club,Office max. Staple's has a sale on the R-260 for around $75. Staple's is a great place to find them on clearance from time to time.

The best thing with my R-200,I can get generic ink and the carts run $1-$1.50 each at meritline.com. The set of 6 epson carts costs over $80 at those local stores I mentioned earlier. So I save a lot of $$ on ink for the Epson R200/220/240/300/320/and 340. Inkjet printable media costs more,especially the plus format,but the cheap ink more than pays for itself.

#2) I did my backups the easy way,dubbed them from VHS/8MM to Dvd using my TV stand alone recorder. I can't help you out much there.

Lightscribe-also called LS: I also do some lightscribe.The colored LS media should be a better improvement.

LS ok,nothing spectacular.The scribing process is said to shorten the lives of the burners.It also adds another 25-35 mins to your time.

Now for a better cover,I'll use Shiny inkjet printables and White/full hub inkjet printables. They now have white glossy and full hub shiny inkjet printable media-which should yield awesome covers,whenever I run out of my regular printables.

There's a pic of some of my covers in my profile page-white full hub,reg hub shiny,and LS.