1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD problem

Discussion in 'PS2' started by Daruvian, Jan 21, 2005.

1. Daruvian

Daruvian Member

I know this doesn't have to do with modding, but it sure looks like a place where I might be able to get a solid answer. Anyways, here's the problem.

My PS2 spins CDs WAY too fast. It reads any DVD game/movie just fine, but anything on CD media, it spins it way too fast. I've played with the laser voltage, and adjusted the height of the laser, cleaned the laser. Any help??? PLEASE?!?!

2. danbooke

danbooke Regular member

It's not your laser, that doesn't have anything to do with how fast your drive spins. Unfortunatly Sony makes PS2 out of as much pieces of horrible plastic as they can buy. After time the part that actually holds your disc wears out. Sort of a soft rubbery thing that the actual disc lays on when in the drive. I have had to replace 2 PS2's because of this problem becuase they would not play blue bottom discs or cd back ups. The reason your dvd still play is because they spin at a slower speed.

3. Daruvian

Daruvian Member

I know what piece you are talking about. I read somewhere else that, if you use any discs with adhesive labels (some older PS2 games have them), that it can wear that piece out rather quickly. However, is there any way to correct this without getting a new PS2? Or even just replace that piece? Buy an old PS2 that has just say a laser problem, and swap out the bad parts???