1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-R & DVD+R

Discussion in 'PS2' started by RavedoG, Feb 21, 2003.

1. RavedoG

RavedoG Guest

When i read all this threads on this forum I see that alot of peps wonder what type off cd-r & DVD-Rs that are the best.

Ive burned about 40 Cd-rs and about 20 DVD+rs for Ps2 and this is my conclutions.

To almost every CD-r i've burned to the Ps2 ive used the brand "Imation" and they all worked just fine.

In some cases i've used kodak gold cd-rs and they wore also ok.

The brand that absolutley does not work is Memorex, they make a really loud humming noise when inserted in the ps2 (it sounds kind of like the hole thing is breaking apart)

And avoid using all blank cds (those super cheap cds with out a print on top) becouse the dont last as long. The edge of the cd can, after a while be flaking and they are very sensitive.

Both the imation and kodak cd-rs sold as 50 packs at dicent price.

DVD+r media i've also tested the "imation" brand both Dvd+r and DVD+rw and they both worked just fine with my Ps2

A friend of mine uses Verbatim DVD+r also with good results.

I use:
    ps2 v4 with messiah
    CD-r/rw samsung 40/12
    DVD+R/RW 2,4/2,4 Nec ND-1000
    Nero 5.5

Good Luck!_X_X_X_X_X_[small]Have phun ya'll! =0)[/small]

2. DJGEOJOE

DJGEOJOE Regular member

I hate to be the one to tell you this but "Imation" makes the most UFOs I have ever seen in my media burning life! I mostly use Memorex DVD+R media and have never had a problem or heard any strange noises from my PS2 that it does not already make with an original disk. As far as CD-R I only use Verbatim mainly cause they have never let me down! Stay away from any gold colored CD-R media; that has been the advice of experts from the first day of CD-R technology. Honestly it makes no difference what media you use if you have a good burner, solid PC, PS2 that is capable of reading DVDs and the messiah 2 nothing can go wrong………that is unless you bridge the bios pins with solder he he he.....or drop a screw driver on the mother board......or break a ribbon cable......or get electrocuted......or even get pissed and whip the damn thing across the room down the hall down a flight of stairs and into the ally, non of which has happened to me......well all except the bios thingy…..that did happen......used a shaved toothpick and said a prayer to the PS2 Game God! Needless to say my prayers were answered, Amen!

3. RavedoG

RavedoG Guest

dude... if i just told u that i burned over 40 cdrs with no problem then how the hell could imation cds be ufos?

I have not used memorex dvd media only memorex cds and they truely sucked...

And what is this about gold cds? i have not yet had any problems with gold cds and my ps2...

I can agree with one thing though... =0) verbatim cds are good but X-pensive... Imation is just as good but cheper...

Peace!

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2003
  4. jhnbnblzd

jhnbnblzd Guest

ravedog, i'm sorry i just have to ask....you have a v4 ps2 correct...and dvd+r's work...i'm so confused i see people saying v4 don't read dvd+r then they do....can you clear it up for me one more time...

5. RavedoG

RavedoG Guest

jhnbnblzd:

Yes I have a v4 and yes dvd+r media has no problem running on my system

6. c7015

c7015 Regular member

ravedog is right
    imation dvd's are good I use them all the time and I have never had a problem....ever
    I also use verbatim

7. jhnbnblzd

jhnbnblzd Guest

thanx ravedog!!

8. Annihilon

Annihilon Guest

"ravedog, i'm sorry i just have to ask....you have a v4 ps2 correct...and dvd+r's work...i'm so confused i see people saying v4 don't read dvd+r then they do....can you clear it up for me one more time..."

And to make things even clearer - I have a V3 PS2 (10 screws/SCPH30003) and DVD+R's work fine on that as well!! Don't believe everything you read about what versions can do what.

9. RavedoG

RavedoG Guest

Annihilon: Could not agree more with u =0)

10. c7015

c7015 Regular member

I can clear it up
    the answer is yes I got informed that they couldent by people on here but I got to the bottome by emailing modchip.ca and .com and they confirm that they can also my friend has a v4 and can play them
    here is more proof if you need it

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/19468
    (it is the first post on the top

11. CepeBarn

CepeBarn Guest

hmm RavedoG . sso u say that memorex doesnt work . dvd+r ? cuz i have burned on memorex dvd+rw and it works but when i burn on a memorex dvd+R it doesnt work and the ps2 sounds like it getting beat up. any tips ?
    thx in advance /cepe

12. darthnip

darthnip Moderator Staff Member

i've used the memorex white top with blue writing cd-r's and they work just fine. actually i dont think i've ever had any brand of cd-r not work. V7 w/ fliptop. and the only brand of dvd-r that has sucked for me are the cheap khypermedia's at office max

13. CepeBarn

CepeBarn Guest

cd-rs works fine . but dvd+R dont work =(

14. Icemonkey

Icemonkey Active member

Beware of the Imation discs. They're pretty good and cheap but they'll start skipping after about a few weeks even when burned at 1x. Gold seems in my experience to be the worst color to burn on. For one reason or another the PS1 and PS2 seem to prefer darker colored media. Could be a reflectivity issue.

15. fgto

fgto Guest

Hi, I use black side memorex for CD-R. They work very fine.

16. CepeBarn

CepeBarn Guest

Thx Icemonkey .. now i know which ones to choose .. Of course black memorex for ps1 and platinum dvd+r for ps2 .. the platinum dvd+r they are perfect .. didnt have 1 error at all . :D
    thx

/Cepe

17. Wizkid

Wizkid Active member

Yep I use Platinum all the time DVD+r and +rw.
    They work great with my PS2 v5 for games as well as for Movies !!!

18. PS2Gamer

PS2Gamer Regular member

I use verbatim CD-R / DVD+R, Memorex CD-R and Fujufilm CD-R, as my media.
    I used Clone CD, CDRwin, Nero, and Blindwrite Suite.
    All of which work fine on my PS2 v5 Magic 3

From what I have heard what media will work on what PS2 differs on each unit.
    My friend has the same version PS2 and Chip installed, he cannot play some of my games that I can on mine.

I've only got a problem with one game (I think that it is just not burnable) I've tried on each of the mentioned medias and each of the programs.
    It's Yu-gi-oh Forbidden memories PS1
    If anyone got this one working on theirs tell me how ya done it.

Happy burning

19. bodul67

bodul67 Regular member

PS2 V4 - burn only Verbatum & Ritek CD-R & DVD-R using Nero. All game work Great.