1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd-r label question

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by 123jeffc, Feb 7, 2007.

1. 123jeffc

123jeffc Member

Hello everyone!

Ultra noob question here...

Do printable labels cause the same grief on a CD as they do on DVD's?

I've spent many hours reading topics from this forum but I haven't found any info on this as of yet.

I have found that labels on DVD's do not work at all (I've wasted so many DVD's & time) but I have never noticed this problem with CD's.

Please advise
    (I'll will try to curb my noob questions to a minimum)

Thanks

2. 123jeffc

123jeffc Member

Just to clarify...

I am referring to audio CD's

Thanks again

3. cincyrob

cincyrob Active member

welcome to AD.
    and the answer to your question is yes they cause problems 4 cd-r's also.they make them thicker and put them out of balance. some are hard to get out of you car cd player cause of being to thick, and gives read errors

4. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

You should get a lightscribe drive. I just got one from newegg.com for $30. It's a samsung one. It burns the labels right into the disk. No more problems with dvd's and it gives you a nice black label over a gold disk. They look pretty sweet. There are no problems when you play them in any dvd players either. All the movies work great. Just a thought!!

5. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Paper labels on CD-Rs DO NOT cause the same problems as on DVDs. The CD-R construction is a single piece of plastic with large tracking grooves for large pits/marks; the DVDs are a sandwich construction with very small tracks and pits/marks. Paper labels cause mechanical cupping of a DVD. This does not happen with CD-Rs. In fact, the paper label can add extra protection to the fragile upper surface of a CD-R.

However: 1) the paper label must be aligned very carefully to keep the balance even. Off-balance CD-Rs will limit the DAE (digital audio extraction) speeds of drive and may even cause the bearings some harm if the drive attempts high speeds. The imbalance is not likely to cause harm at playback speeds. Playback errors on a paper labeled disc do test out to be insignificantly higher than the errors before labeling, but that increase may be attributed to the extra handling required for labeling. I have not figured a way around this problem in my testing.
    2) The paper label cannot be applied and removed from a CD-R without pulling the lacquer/alloy coating away from the dyed surface. A misaligned CD-R label means throughing the disc away and trying again. Labels can be removed from DVDs with some success, but not from CD-Rs.
    3) The paper label has to be designed for good mechanical qualities. That means proper adhesion (not all labels are the same) and proper thinness. Labels that are too thick can cause problems in some drives.

In short, paper labels designed for optical discs will work on CD-Rs if the user is careful. They are no good for DVDs.

6. 123jeffc

123jeffc Member

Thank you for the info!