1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-R MEDIA (NEW TO THE VCD GAME)

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by jeanice, Oct 13, 2002.

1. jeanice

jeanice Guest

hi im new to making vcd's and havnt been succesful yet..does anyone know of a good cd-r media that good for vcds ive been trying to make some but cant..i followed all the steps and still cant view them on my dvd player..thanks

2. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

what make and model DVD player?

3. jeanice

jeanice Guest

hi i have a panasonic cv-40..thanks! do u know any good cd-r media? i think thats the problem..my media isnt good..thanks again

4. VCDjunkie

couldn't find your DVD player on vcdhelp.com's DVD player guide.. but, I did find a bunch within the same series as yours, the CV series.. nobody is giving these DVD players very good ratings for VCD and SVCD playback.. check it out here:

http://www.vcdhelp.com/dvdplayers.php?DVDname=panasonic+cv&DVDselect=&Search=Search

click on the sections on the right under reports and comments, click view *x* reports, where x=number of reports..

you may have more luck using CD-RW discs though.. Most of the reports I read said that it reads those fine. my girlfriend's mother has a panasonic 5 DVD changer, and it only does CD-RW discs and only VCD, no SVCD.. I don't like panasonic DVD players, but I swear by their other products, phones, etc..

Best of luck!

5. jeanice

jeanice Guest

hi im gonna try cd-rw! thanks again, but i read on this forum that if i want it to last long i shouldnt use them..but i will give it a shot..thanks !
    PS-Can u also reccomend any good cdr or cdrw?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2002
  6. VCDjunkie

the only CD-RW media I have tried have been Memorex and Comp-USA brand. honestly, I think the Comp-USA brand is actually better, I never got a bad batch from them, but the last time I bought Memorex half of the discs wouldn't even burn, and the rest only burnt once and never again.. don't think I will be buying them again.. anyhow, best of luck in your adventure!

7. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

I bought some Mercury CDRW and they were good even though I had never heard of the brand. I have just started on a 10 pack of Memorex *gulp* hope they're good and I have used the Infiniti brand with some all good results.

8. jeanice

jeanice Guest

thanks guys i really appreciate it! but i hope cdrw's work if it doesnt then i dunno wats the problem..im very sure im encoding the files right..its says my panasonic reads vcd..hmmmm! neyway thanks again..

9. timofee

timofee Guest

I havent had any problems with burning onto TDK CD-R disks. Ive used them for music and putting my pic's onto them to watch on my DVD player.
    I use VCDeasy as the program for burning and converting the formats.
    As far as my CD writer I have HP CD-writer 9100 series as my burner.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2002
  10. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

timofee,

We need to be more accurate:
    -What DVD?
    -TDKs are made by several manufacturers so their quality varies - therefore we need some ATIP info on the TDKs.

11. jeanice

jeanice Guest

hey guys the vcd finally played but it just showed the menu and no other tracks but the menu..it was weird..i couldnt fwd or anything..please help!

Jeanice NY

12. VCDjunkie

press the number 1 key on your DVD remote. this will play the first track.

13. timofee

timofee Guest

In regards to your previous question, TDK is a company. TDK electronics out of NY.
    I use the DATA CD-R for computer burning.
    80 mins, 700MB.
    Thanks.

14. jeanice

jeanice Guest

i used vertabim cd-rw and it works just fine, but the menu wouldnt work,..actually it was just the pic of the menu and nothing else...any other inexpensive brands? i wanna get a spindle..thanks again!

15. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

Timofee,

I know TDK is a company - I have been sponsored by them. What we need is disc manufacturer indentification since TDKs have been made at least by these manufactuerers:

-Taiyo Yuden (good)
    -Ritek (good)
    -TDK Corp (varies, some bad)
    -CMC magnetics (usually bad)

So telling us that you use TDK 800mb doesn't tell us ANYTHING yet. You need to identify them with this: http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_cd_speed.cfm or this http://www.cd-rw.org/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/cdridentifier.cfm . Same goes to Jeanice and her Verbatims ;)

16. fallen_br

fallen_br Member

Jeanice: You could try CDRs made by Princo. In which country are you located?

17. jeanice

jeanice Guest

hi im located in the us! thanks for the info

18. NisMax

NisMax Guest

Just a side note about what VCDJunkie said about Memorex CD-RWs. I also have had problems with them. These were sold in a 5-pack and rated 4x. Haven't been able to burn them at all. AVOID! The specific disc details are posted in the CD-RW thread in this forum.

19. chriso123

chriso123 Regular member

Uh-oh, I have 2 of those packs of 5. I hope they work.

20. stolen009

stolen009 Guest

I used vertabim CD-Rs, (the colored ones from Sams) and also got no menu. But dont think that is cause of the CD.