1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD Rip Failure

Discussion in 'Audio' started by jshollis, Apr 30, 2011.

1. jshollis

jshollis Member

Hi,

I am a newbie here. I've had no problems ripping CD's until now. And it's just this one, Jim Brickman "Love" that I purchased at Target.

I have tried several software programs I have-- Fairstairs Ripper and Cakewalk Pyro. Fairstairs rips the tracks real quick with each track only being 4.0KB.

Anyone have any idea what may be causing this? Also worthy of note is that in properties text is in Chinese. See image http://img853.imageshack.us/img853/6324/ss20110430114314.jpg

2. Mez

Mez Active member

Well it might be a bit harder to read than most. A better reader/burner or a good ripping app will help. There are only a few riping apps I would recommend in this order. dbPowerAmp, EAC and Media Monkey 4.x. These all use Accurip. The last is an audio manager that rips and burns far superior to all the rest of the audio managers and dedicated rippers. The first two are dedicated rippers far superior to all the rest. Both have have taken flack from the media industry because they are too good. EAC made concessions, dbPA didn't. There are links in the top sticky to discussions about that legality. The lead programmer for dbPA tells how they fought the media. MM is more of an Honorable mention.

Getting it right is much harder than it would seem to someone that doesn't understand that the CDs are made in such a way they can't be ripped correctly without extremely good software. The rippers you use will rip your CDs more or less correct.

Ripping without one of the 3 is a waist of time. If they can't do it right you might need to either audio capture or use AnyDVD to get a good copy. I can't say for sure how good the copy protection is on your CD. CDs need to have a 'passive' protection method otherwise CDs will not play on old devices. See the top sticky for more detail.

The problem with hearing is you will hear what you want or think you should hear. However, once you hear a problem your brain will train itself to find like errors on anything you play. You might not hear problems for years but once you are aware of the artifact, your brain will be in tune waiting find the error artifact if it is present on any audio you have. It will behave like your tongue with a chipped tooth. Once it is aware of the anomaly, that is all you will hear.

Read the top sticky if you want more information.

Last edited: May 3, 2011