1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-ROM Problem

Discussion in 'DVD Shrink forum' started by spymxc, Jan 30, 2007.

1. spymxc

spymxc Member

Need help i have hl-dt-st dvd-rw gwa-4082n drive on my laptop but for some reason it only reads dvds when ever i try to put a cd-rom or even a audio cd it reads as if it was a blank cd do you think i need to buy a new drive i cant find any updates or even drivers to see if that works

2. laddyboy

laddyboy Regular member

Hi.

What brand lappy do you have? You'll likely have to find firmware updates at their support site for this LG burner since it has a slightly different model number from the LG retail burner.

Have you picked an earlier restore point to see if the drive will work correctly there. If so, you've added some software since, causing a conflict.

You may need to backup your data, reformat, and reinstall the OS to verify the drive isn't working correctly. If you haven't backed up and reinstalled the OS in a while, now might be a good time to do so as it will rid the system of rogue drivers.

It may just be conflicting drivers causing the problem, but it could also be a hardware failure.