1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd r's have slight crackle.

Discussion in 'Audio' started by ste451, Mar 15, 2003.

1. ste451

ste451 Member

hi there!
    i am new to the process of burning my own cds as i have only just got a new computer with a cd rw drive
    i am using windows media player to do my copies ( i know this might be a bit basic but as i am an amateur i wanted to keep it simple!)

i am writing the cds at 16x and they are working fine with no jumping or skipping but when i am listening to music there is a crackling sound that goes with the sounds of the instuments or voices that are at higher volume.
    i have tried a few things to stop this but to no avail, the prob seems to lie with the stage of copying where you copy the original cd to the hardrive because i have played the album from the media library before i copy it to the blank cdr and the crackling is evident.
    so i am wondering if anyone has any advice for me please note that the noise is not very loud but it is not present on the original cd.
    would using one of the copiers like nero or easy cd cure the prob?

anyway i would really be gratefull for some advice from you experts!

cheers

system
    athlon xp 2000+
    256ddr
    radeon 9000 64mb pro
    lg cd re writer
    60gig 7200 rpm hard disk

2. Shoey

Shoey Guest

I really can't answer your question, but I know who can. The auhtor of EAC (Exact Audio Copy). Use this program and print out the guide to get familar with the program, considered to be one of the most highly recommended programs for burnin' audio.

EAC: http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
    EAC guide: http://www.ping.be/satcp/tutorials.htm
    You'll also need to download Lame 3.93 (mp3 encoder) if you wan't to store mp3's on your hd.

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2003
  3. piano632

piano632 Regular member

It may be that you are ripping the original CD in analog form and you are somehow getting audio distortion. Check to make sure you are using DIGITAL extraction. EAC is an excellent program (I use it) but not exactly the simplest for beginners.

4. Liquid86

Liquid86 Guest

I believe Windows MEdia Player encodes with .WMA files, which are of a lower quality. You may want to pick up Roxio Easy CD Creator 6 or even the latest version of Nero, both of these programs are very easy to use and have tons of options, I personally prefer Nero...after you have mastered either of these there are many more advanced options available. Also, you may want to try burning at a lower speed, perhaps 8-12x, burning at high speeds with low quality media (Verbatim consistently provides the best results for me) can cause low audio quality...hope this helps.

5. Racemann

Racemann Regular member

It depends on what program is used.

Perhaps the burner has poor DAE [Digital Audio Extraction] when copying to the harddrive.

Personally I like the simplicity of Nero. It's able to extract pretty accurately. I have used EAC before as well.

The problem might be when you try to burn the contents of the audio onto media. You might have to "equalize" the volumes of the tracks.

Nero will let you select all the songs, then if you right click to properties, you'll see options to do so.

Personally I've had good success with the setting of 90% of Maximum [versus RMS].

In any case, I burn it to CDRW first to listen for anomalies before committing them to CDR.

6. Shoey

Shoey Guest

The EAC tutorial tells us how to setup the program. The DAE is corrected after you input all settings(correct c2 errors, accurate stream). If any of your roms can do this, then the dae quality is corrected when extrating a music cd to the hd. Audio sync errors take longer for the rom to extract the audio to the hd, but in the end well worth it because this is considered the "correct" way to extract audio to the hd.

Shoey

7. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member