1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-RW Formatting (how?)

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by smg, Oct 22, 2003.

1. smg

smg Regular member

I tried burning some free downloaded programs onto a cd-rw and got nothing,zip,zilch,nada. Now I heard somewhere that they had to be formatted first. So how do you format one?
    Thanks for any help.
    smg.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

1. If you use a burning application (i.e., Nero, EasyCD Creator etc) you do not have to format the RW disc unless it is full of stuff already.

2. If you are using WindowsXP to do your burning.... WindowsXP is a quirky OS when it comes to built-in burning capability. Many people claim to be able to burn fine. Many others have problems. Microsoft released an update to the IMAPI (which, FYI stands for Image Mastering Applications Programming Interface); that update can be found at http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320174 Furthermore, Microsoft has adressed other burning issues with WindowsXP, see http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

3. If you are using a 3rd party packet-writing program i.e., InCD from Nero/Ahead then you do need to format the disc.

3. smg

smg Regular member

Thanks Praetor for the info.
    I am using the one that came with my pc (I believe it,s the Easy CD one by Roxio). I do have NERO Burning ROM , but have not installed it as I don't know how (to go about removing the Roxio version) I want to use Nero anyway (which is why I bought it recently because I can burn data cds with no problem, but cannot for the life of me burn a complete music cd. For some reason it only burns half a cd or so and even though nthe pc says "burn complete and all that, it doesnt. Sometimes it doesnt burn at all, but only when I am trying to burn music cds (I have always been able to burn dsta cds perfectly everytime)not a single coaster.
    So as soon as I can figure out how to uninstall Roxio I will install Nero and then try a cd-rw as I don't know how to format one anyway. It will be great not having to do that if Nero does it automatically anyway.