1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD-RW not recognized, Nero says missing ASPI file

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by CherylG, Nov 4, 2002.

1. CherylG

CherylG Member

Hi, I hope someone here can help me. I've searched the old messages and can't seem to find what I need.

Yesterday, I was burning a CD and my computer locked up. When I restarted, the CD-ROM stopped responding (no lights and won't eject) and I got this error message from Nero:
    The Win-ASPI file '?.?' can't be found, therefore you can currently select only image recorders.
    This missing file is a part of he Windows 95/98/ME files. Please fix this problem and then restart Nero.

My husband took it apart to make sure it's all hooked up & everything seemed to be fine. When I restart, it says ATAPI IDE CD-ROM device driver not loaded. I've tried re-installing the driver, but that didn't work. I tried downloading the ASPI file, but I don't know what folder to put it in. Also, I'm not sure this is the only problem since there are no lights on. Any ideas?? I'm lost! I'm running Windows 98SE if that matters.

Thanks!
    Cheryl

2. dbecker

dbecker Regular member

first off, the aspi file you downloaded should be an executable file and all you do is double click it to load it up. Make sure you have the correct aspi (one for win98). If this does not work, reload win98se and it will load the aspi driver. You might have to reload nero to get it to work

3. cd-rw.org

cd-rw.org Active member

4. CherylG

CherylG Member

It mysteriously started working by itself last night. Nero now just gives a message saying:
    Could not open driver. Trying system aspi.

Once I click "ok", it loads up fine! I have a feeling this has something to do w/me adding files here & there. I burned a cd last night & it worked perfectly! Thanks for your help!

Cheryl