1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

cd to 4 gig

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by angus18, Jun 18, 2007.

1. angus18

angus18 Member

i know a cd hold 700mb but a friend told me theres a way to unlock the cd to make it hold space like a dvd. does anyone know anything about this?

2. tripplite

tripplite Guest

ha!?!?!?! your friend is pulling you leg , no way... you can tell him he is a lier. look at a cd-r you can see right through it (if the cover isn't thick) it has just a few thin layers in which to store data on, look at dvd+r it's dark purple, there are many layers on this one, aka- more layers more space. "unlock it" - and a cd+rw is the same (rewritable) so you can tell your friend he is wrong. now it can hold over 700mb if the file is compressed, but at max only 900mb, no where near 4.7gb

3. Andrew691

Andrew691 Regular member

^^ Theres also overburn for burners that support it, but even then you can only get around 750mb max safely on a CD. I remember some company a while ago released a burner that could fit 1.4gb on a CD-R/W but Ive never seen one available for purchase.

4. tripplite

tripplite Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2007
  5. bluecoal

bluecoal Guest

6. deadlove

deadlove Guest

810MB on a cdr.. and only if used as svcd. It has nothing to do with layers as previously wrongly stated.. It is down to the data density. The spacing of the pits and spaces in the pre-printed spiral track. There is no such thing as a dual layer CD.. and never will be. The specifications were fixed a very long time ago. DVD is different because the specs allowed for multi layer disks from the outset.
    As with any media there is always a little bit left over for manufacturing tolerances and hardware variations. Some devices allow accessing this, some do not. I can put 1.77MB on a standard 3 1/2" floppy, and do regularly.

Overburning on any cd or dvd is a little risky.. you are pushing the laser beyond it's design end stops, and void any warranty by doing so.. At your own risk eh?