1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD WRITER PROBLEM!

Discussion in 'CD-R' started by Jay05, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Hey DJTonyMan,
    I'm playing WC3 and other games such as Red Alert and Empires dawn of the modern world on this PCG FVR25 (You know what I mean) Anyways the only problems I get while playing games is Enter the Matrix or Games from EA Games such as lord of the rings and needforspeed underground. The screen just turns blue and with all these white writings and then restarts and tells me that it recovered from a serious error. I think I posted up the log somewhere on afterdawn Subject name is "Screen turns blue" or something along the lines I'll try to get a link up for it. Some help was that I updated alot from the sony website. You go to help and support and you type in your computer version and etc info. and there will be a lot of updates. one thing is to update your ATI graphic card for games... Don't know if it helped me but it might help yours in playing games.

Also about the burning cds. Try buying sony cd-r. Because according to an engineer on another forum that I"ve been to. He told me that QSI didn't test all the cd-r, so basically it only works on certain cds such as Sony CD-R (Works best!), AZO verbatim, Fugifilm, Toshiba,... that's all I can think of the top of my head. I have a post on this topic somewhere on the afterdawn site as well... I'll try getting it up... I hoped this helped all of you....
    Thanx for participating. I think we should all email SONY and QSI on this issue. I'm going to be in the states in July for College so hopefully by then I can get an exchange or something along the lines to it. Anyone know the email ad?

2. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

The working cd rs and not working cd rs are on this thread just scroll up and towards the middle it's there. I've put a post earlier on...
    I'm still trying to find the Game error post. (where the screen turns blue...)

3. DJTonyMon

DJTonyMon Member

Thanks Jay05, I thought it was impossible to play anything on this comp.. do you know if tom clancy games work, or any other first person shooter games? Also, what kind of tweaks have you made to increase performance on this laptop. I find the FRV25 not as fast as everyone else raves, its constantly slowing down, movies skip cuz my CPU is always running at max, im not running with the packaged vaio software, i reformatted many times and jus have XP pro on it... yet its still slow as a motherf##### ..please help a frustrated Sony user out and let me know what you reccomend to get this pos to work like its supposed to ... thanks sorry for the long noobie post.. peace

4. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I've played Halo Combat Painkiller, Unreal 2 awakening, Call of duty, tribes, and Quake 3 arena works well. I just have the package the PCG FRV25 installed on it and I've just done some add ons to it. I defrag alot and also use programs such as ccleaner you can get it at www.ccleaner.com maybe it'll speed up your computer. also update all the things sony tells you to do on that update site I mentioned about. Going to Sony.com and finding the right drivers for your computer. Do that. I'm starting to learn how to use this computer even though I really dont' like it. Use Sony CD-R for best performance in burning.
    Anyone know why the cd rom whines so much if theres one small scratch or even no scratch at all or when I put in a non original cd in? It's really annoying. Even the battery, did it ever happen to you that it says there's three hours left but you use it for like 30 minutes and then it tells you that you have only 20minutes left? I think Sony has made a big mistake releasing PCG-FRV25...I'm disappointed in them.

5. DJTonyMon

DJTonyMon Member

Wow, Jay05 you jus made my day. I definately need to update and tweak because I thought it was impossible to play any new game on this laptop. Anyone out their have CPU indexing problems... Mine goes up to 100% all the time and slows my comp so much.
    Haha, i agree with the battery life. The battery life is one of the weakest. You would think with such a large power supply it would at least go for an hour, as soon as you turn on the thing it wastes 25% of your battery life. Lawsuit anyone?

6. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Yup I think someone should...
    I can't cuz I'm not in the States right now but will be in roughly August or mabye December...

7. hindibuff

hindibuff Member

Hi guys. I have the same problem with my FRV-25 but now I have a new twist to it.

I upgraded to v07 but now the laptop wants a file to complete the installation of the new drive. I noticed in the drivers for the QSI SBW-241 that it used to have three files defined there and now there are two. I am guessing that is what the laptop is looking for.

I have tried receovery and also reinstalling different drivers from sony website to no avail.
    I was wondering if someone here would have the patient to email me that third file.
    The two I have are:
    cdrom.sys and pxhelp20.sys

I would really really appreciate the help here.
    You can zip the file and send it to my yahoo account.
    noemailsallowed@afterdawn.com

thanks so much

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  8. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

@ hindibuff

No posting email addies - forum rules :)

9. hindibuff

hindibuff Member

sorry,
    didnt realize that. ok, anyone willing to help me out please.

10. hotwell

hotwell Member

i think i posted this somewhere else before, this is the link for updating your video card driver. I had the same problem w/ the blue screen and restart computer while playing games. after i updated the driver, everything works fine. if you wanna fix your problem, go here, copy and paste it on ur address or use d/l program [bold]ftp://ftp.ita.sel.sony.com/ccpg/pc/AT-B09170802JG03US.EXE[/bold]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2005
  11. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

I'll get the file sometimes. I think if I can.... I'll put it up on Ebay, maybe I"ll get a good deal for it. I'm really tired of using the crappy computer. I mean if they fixed it up a bit I wouldn't mind using it, but it just gets frustrating!!!!!

12. hindibuff

hindibuff Member

Thanks so much. I sent you a private message with my email to send it to.

13. billyto

billyto Member

Add another soul to your list, I have a PCG-FRV25 and my cdrom is a QSI CDR/DVDSBW-421... I upgrade my firmware to VH07, but I CANNOT READ ANYTHING NOW... and I can't reverse this upgrade.., any workaround?? Should I proceed to do a recovery system?

Awesome... I just use a cleaner cd and it works now... thank you guys :)))))))

Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  14. juanelo

juanelo Member

i got a toshiba 1900 notebook with a matshita UJDA730 dvd/cd-r combo and i have the same problem.
    my burned discs are blank, the wired thing is that those discs works in other cd rom.
    i bought this notebook in canada and know i'm in mexico
    WHAT CAN I DO???

15. high-up

high-up Member

Jay, Are the cd burns working for you now. I have the exact Sony Vaio Notebook as yours with the same cd burning problems. Goes through the burning motions but when the cd is popped back in, no cd text and no audio. I get a "blank cd in drive" message. I had good burns up until a couple of months ago with Media Center 10. I even backed up my c drive and ran the recovery disk set to no avail. I am looking to try and lens cleaner first and if that doesn't work then the firmware. Care to share on your situation?

16. DJTonyMon

DJTonyMon Member

billyto,
    can you specify what brand cd cleaner you used, i am still getting coasters and frisbees everytime i make a mix.
    good lookin out

17. billyto

billyto Member

Ohh sorry, it's a plain(and no brand ) cd cleaner... the cover just says "Laser Lens Cleaner"... You have to consider to upgrade your firmware and use the right cdr disc too (from the list posted above).

18. high-up

high-up Member

I got good burns now. I used Maxell lens cleaner and changed to Sony CD-Rs. One or the other could have been the fix; life is good once again.

19. z2000000

z2000000 Member

Hi all,

Anyone know if there is another cdrw/dvd I can install in my sony pcg frv25, one that is not the sbw 241? I am on my second cdrw/dvd from sony (two months in the shop) and enough is enough. I want a new mfgr. Thanks

20. Jay05

Jay05 Regular member

Aight guys, this is what I"ve done and it seems to be working but it still wines like a baby from small scratches. I sent it in for cleaning and I guess the peeps there at the support cleaned it and did some other stuff to my cd lens and it's reading a lot better than I thought. I have also done my firmware upgrade to my cd writer. My last thing is that I recommend you use a Sony CD-R which works best on the cd writer! There are other cds that work but I mentioned it somewhere in Afterdawn, cant remember off the top of my head. You realize that you can now buy a PCG-FRV25 for 80$ on Ebay. Hoped this helped...