1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDEx v1.7b2 Error on installation

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Katzhuu, Dec 16, 2006.

1. Katzhuu

Katzhuu Member

Hi,

Tried to install CDEx v1.7b2 and got this message:

[​IMG]

Did I get a corrupt copy from afterdawn or is there some other problem?

Running Win XP pro SP2
    Intel E6300

Last edited: Dec 16, 2006
  2. Katzhuu

Katzhuu Member

There was some problem with the linked pic. Looked like the xs.to lost the pic. I put it up again.

3. djscoop

djscoop Active member

Are you able to install older versions of CDex? Keep in mind that the version you are trying to install is a beta version (meaning its a not finished testing version) so there is most likely a bug with the installer conflicting with your computer setup.

I personally would highly recommend ditching CDex all together and switching over to EAC (exact audio copy). Like CDex, it is also free, and the appearance is very similar. But unlike CDex, it has extensive ripping features and drive control options, and is the ONLY ripper out there that can do a 100% accurate rip of an audio CD. When combined with the LAME mp3 codec plugin using VBR settings, you will create the best rip and best quality mp3s possible.

It is a little more complicated to setup and configure than CDex, but it is well worth it. We have a step by step guide here on how to install, setup, and use EAC. You can find the link to the guide in my sig below...

4. Katzhuu

Katzhuu Member

Thanks, I'll probably do that.

However, when I dloaded CDex from their homesite, it installed without problems. Maybe AD should check their CDex version. Could be a problem in it.

5. Katzhuu

Katzhuu Member

Don't know anything about making M3's but when I tried EAC, it was like 50 times fster than CDEx. Maybe I just didn't know how to use the CDEx, but I'm ditshing it for EAC.

Last edited: Dec 19, 2006
  6. djscoop

djscoop Active member

you are probably using the "burst" mode on EAC which is why it was ripping fast. you DO NOT want to use this method. Burst mode provides no guarantee of an accurate rip. You should not compare rip speed with quality. Ripping a CD super fast is great, but chances are there will be errors in it. Set your ripping method in EAC to "secure". It is slower, but guarantees an accurate rip. If the CD is scratched and can't rip in that mode, then use burst mode. but always always always rip in secure mode!!!

7. Katzhuu

Katzhuu Member

Yeah, it's in fast mode. Gotta try it on secure mode too. Anyways, I can barely tell the difference between C-casette and CDs so the quality isn't my first priority. Ok, that's an slight exaggeration...