1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CDs and DVDs not recognized when inserted.

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by double9s, Jul 10, 2007.

1. double9s

double9s Member

I suspect installing Nero caused this problem, so I'm checking here to see if anyone has an answer:

This problem occurred a couple weeks after upgrading to Vista. At some point I tried installing Nero Express 6. When I open my CD drive or my DVD drive and insert a new disc, like a game, Windows doesn't recognize that I've done so. The autorun doesn't run. In my computer, it still shows the title of the last disc that was in there. And when I doubleclick the drive I get an error. The only way to run anything is to "explore" the disc and open the program.

2. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Your suspicion is correct, no version of Nero 6 are compatable with Vista.

Versions 7.5.9.0 onwards are Vista compatable.

Uninstall Nero 6 and run the Nero 6 clean programs.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2007
  3. double9s

double9s Member

I tried that. I uninstalled and used Nero's cleaning program. I also went into my registry and removed lower and higher bounds or something like that. I updated firmware and drivers. Nothing. Do I need a clean Vista install? If so, thanks Nero!

4. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

I myself haven't upgraded to Vista and don't plan to soon, but I found this reference for autoplay in Vista for you:

you can select "Set AutoPlay defaults in Control Panel" then the window lets you alter the AutoPlay and AutoRun default options.

I don't know all the quirks that Nero does, but I do know that in at least one of its modules it turns off autoplay. I guess with a non-Vista version, Nero doesn't know where to turn it back on in the uninstall.

Here's another one where you use regedit on the registry:

This turns OFF autoplay. I'd imagine if you inserted a "1" instead of a "0", it would turn it on. (It's set to "1" on this machine & is autorun enabled)

Then Navigate to the following key:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdrom

On the right side, locate and double click on Autorun and give it a value of 0

Here's a web site with various Vista fixes, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK:

http://www.fixmyvista.com/content/category/4/13/26/

Last edited: Jul 11, 2007
  5. lorgr

lorgr Member

nero 6 will work! I spent hours searching for help on how to make nero work with vista all I could find was to buy the upgrade version of nero which i did not want to pay for. so for several months I did nothing. Then the other day I happened to be on the phone with microsft because I was having connection issues. While I was talking to him I told him i was thinking about going back to xp because I was having some problems like nero. He told me a very simple way to make nero 6 work with vista it is so easy I can not believe no one has figured this out and posted it.
    On your nero icon right click, go to properties, then click on the campatibility tab, check the box you want to run this program campatible mode for windows xp service pack 2, then click ok. and it works I have all ready burned several movies since he told me this tip.

6. hobbit112

hobbit112 Regular member

Great tip! I'm surprised someone else hasn't tried it, unless there is some hidden issue you haven't encountered yet. The compatibility tab is in XP, ME and I think 98. I tried it way back when on a ME machine for someother software but it didn't do much good.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2007
  7. double9s

double9s Member

I don't care about getting Nero to work in Vista, I just want my drives to work again. As far as I'm concerned Nero is a virus.

I'll try the regedit suggestions and then reinstall Vista if that doesn't work.