1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CD's Stolen!

Discussion in 'Windows - P2P software' started by blakeas, Jan 21, 2005.

1. blakeas

blakeas Member

Someone stole all of my CD's from my car the other day and want to replace them but i dont want to buy them all over again. Where is the best place to download Music? And safest?

2. Woz

Woz Regular member

You may have bought the CD's in the past and it is unfortunate that they have been stolen, however if you want the music legally you will have to purchase them again im afraid. Obviously you can buy the albums from a shop or more recent you can download them digitally from somewhere like iTunes or Napster etc, but you will have to pay. If you dont want to pay for them (illegal) then I would suggest Newsgroups are your safest bet. Torrents seem to be quite good as well.

P2P software is easy to use, but be careful as there are a lot of dodgy files on them, viruses, spyware and sometimes you can download only half of a song.

Hope this helps

Woz

3. blakeas

blakeas Member

Is there a guide to show me how to use newsgroups and torrents? I have my computer running through a wirless router so i heard it can be tricky to get it working.

4. ag22

ag22 Regular member

Well Im sure none of the music was copoytrighted so I will give you a couple of hints.

First find out your computers IP adress. Go to Start>Run>CMD>Search>ipconfig> look for the ip adress. It should be 192.168.01 or something like that. Then type that into your browser. If you have a netgear router tyore in admin for the user name and password for the password. If its Lynksis or Dlink you should be able to find it somewhere on this board. THen find port forwarding. Foward ports 16880-16890. Then download a program called Azerus. Go to Tools>Options>and switch the DL port to 16880. Turn off all Firewalls. You're ready! You can go to isohunt, and dl full CDs.

This is for BT!

5. DaOsT

DaOsT Regular member

nice description of how to forward ports on a router ag22:))

but I don't think turning a firewall off ever is a good idea
    treat your pc like your house I never go out with doors and windows unlocked

just My thoughts:)

6. ag22

ag22 Regular member

Well I could care less about this computer, but he is right. I turn off the XP SP2 firewall but not Symantec.

7. blakeas

blakeas Member

Do i need to do anything to my DSL Modem? I have a Zyxel Prestige 645 ADSL modem. Thanks for the instructions on the port forwarding, guess i should make sure that my firmware on my router is up to date. Does this port forwarding affect anything else?

8. ag22

ag22 Regular member

It makes your computer a bit more vounerable, but not much since its ten ports out of thousands. You should see no perfromance increases or decreases in any other program unless you set it up so they use the ports you designated. I would not recomend doing that, because the more the files going through the ports, the more voulnerable your computer is, and the slower BT will run. No extra precautions will be needed to done with the router/ modem itself.