1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CECHL01 {Fat} or CECH-2001A {Slim} ~ Which to sell, which to keep!?

Discussion in 'PS3' started by BLKBRDTA, Aug 10, 2012.

1. BLKBRDTA

BLKBRDTA Member

Hey everyone, back again with a question that I can't seem to decide on my own and I need input from others here. I own two PS3s, a CECHL01 Fat and CECH-2001A Slim, I plan on selling off one of them but can't figure out which one. I am leaning toward the PS3 Slim because it is newer than the Fat and has a little more features, it also gets better Wi-Fi reception as well strangely. However I took apart the PS3 Fat and cleaned everything out well, then replaced the cooling pads and thermal compound on both the CPU and GPU then put a 19 Blade Japanese style Whisper fan in there and assembled it all back together properly. Now I am certain the PS3 Fat runs cooler and quieter than the PS3 Slim does, not to mention looks better standing up rather than confined to laying down. Now my question to you, should I sell the Fat then re-ball the Slim with a good cleaning, replace the cooling pads and thermal compound then reassemble and hope it is much quieter and cooler than the PS3 Fat? Or should I simply sell the Slim and keep the Fat because it runs cooler/quieter in the first place? Anybody with similar experience?

Thanks for any and all help in advance!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. 07anto07

07anto07 Regular member

i would just sell the slim instead of selling the fat model and doing the same work too the slim

3. crosseye

crosseye Member

Keep both, we have 2 Fat and 2 slim ps3's. First Fat went YLOD on me in 2012, couldn't bring myself to trash it cause it cost 500 bucks. At that point didn't know anything about YLOD, bought a slim and eventually a second for my daughter. Found tutorials on YouTube on how to reflow, and have done that several times with the heat gun method. Found another one online that was professionally reballed. A few weeks ago I tried the oven method to reflow the original and it works great. Have ordered the 19 blade fan and some thermal pads from Amazon. Trying to make it last as long as possible. Will probably tear down the 2 slims and put some arctic silver 5 on them as well.