1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cell Phone

Discussion in 'Safety valve' started by Fairie26, Mar 29, 2005.

1. Fairie26

Fairie26 Member

Does anyone have a nextel phone and is using a USB cable to download ringers, etc onto their phone? I dont know where to find the software to allow for downloading onto my phone(I already have the cable). If someone could let me know where I can find the software for free online, let me know.

2. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

How to load Ring Tones and Wallpapers to Nextel phones.
    By Mike Lowery of www.Nextpimp.com

Nextel phones, as of the writing of this document are not capable of receiving OTA (over the air) transfers of ringtones, wallpapers, or java apps from any source other then Nextel approved hardcoded websites.
    What this means to you is you have 2 options to load these items to your phone.

1 - Purchase from Nextel.. This is the solution for 99% of you people out there. Trust me. Just buy your ringers, wallpapers, and java apps from Nextel.

2 – Buy a Data Cable and learn how to use it. This way will require some technical expertise. How do you know if you have enough technical expertise to try? Ask yourself these simple questions.

a) What operating system do I have on my computer (OS) ?

b) What is my access level on the operating system?

c) What is a hosts file?

d) What is usb? (if you have a usb cable)

e) What are COM Ports? (if you have a serial cable)

If any of the questions above are leaving you with a blank then you need to Educate yourself on these terms or pay your 2$ per from Nextel. I can’t stress how important this is for you to have the basic knowledge above. If you purchase or download a program that lets you load ringtones and you need help you are only going to be that much more frustrated if you do not know what the above items do.

Moving on-

Ok so you have the technical ability and are ready to try loading ringtones and wallpapers to your Nextel phone?

Items Needed -

Hardware - First you need a data cable. In my humble opinion you should only get a Serial Data Cable . You will pay more for a serial cable but they are worth it. Get a USB Data Cable if you want.

Software -Next you need a program called Webjal . This is the guts of it all. Webjal is the only legit software that works and it is made by Motorola. As of the writing of this document the current version of Webjal is 103 You will also need to get proper usb drivers if you have the usb cable.

Authentication – When webjal starts up it asks you for a username and password. Unless you are a webjal developer and have a login from Motorola you will not have this. So basically in order to get webjal to authenticate you have to either create your own server, get access to someone elses server for free, purchase access to someone elses server or purchase a program that takes care of it. If you are familiar with Apache and php then you may want to take a crack at setting up your own server. If you are not a apache guru then the safe route is to purchase software that will do some emulation of the moto server.

The safe route is the Nextpimp Media Center from nextpimp.com.

*******************WARNING************************
    There are patches floating around the net that will redirect your streams to someones server but keep in mind this could be used for evil. Don’t be so eager to click on every registry patch you see floating around. Open it up and understand what its going to do to your registry before blindly giving it free reign. I am not saying every patch is evil, I am just saying be careful.
    *******************END WARNING*********************

99% of problems people have with usb cables are due to driver issues. Please make sure you have This driver for USB

3. Jizmak

Jizmak Regular member

4. squizzle

squizzle Active member

Since this is in the Safety Valve and the title is simply Cell Phone, here's my gripe. My cell phone plan is $49.99/month with Rollover from Cingular. I have about 2000 minutes rolled over, so there's really no chance in hell I'm going over my minutes. I get my phone bill today and it's $70. It's not in overusage or anything like that, it's them f*cking little things they add on to nickel and dime you to death. 3 different federal charges and a couple of state charges, other miscellaneous bullshit they throw in too. It's really annoying. Then they give these charges these names that don't explain anything about the charge. They don't have anything on the bill or in their website about what they REALLY are. One of these charges was a tax for when people switch companies but keep the same number. Why should people that don't use this function have to pay for it? What's wrong with charging the people who want to do this a few extra bucks? If they don't want to pay it, tough shit, get a different number. I've called them before and bitched them out, but that does nothing except get me pissed off even more. I'm a pretty happy person generally and I don't enjoy being mad. Why don't these companies just increase their rates instead of beating around the bush. I don't mind paying an extra $10 or $15 a month, if I know that's what the bill is going to be. If I sign up for a plan that's $50 a month, charge me $50 a month.