1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Certain Backups will not work

Discussion in 'PS2' started by abone9, Feb 4, 2003.

1. abone9

abone9 Member

Hello,

I recently modded my v7 ps2 with a magic 3.6 modchip. Everything works fine including original psx backups and ps2 backups but I have run into troubles with 2 titles. GTA Vice City will boot but when it loads the game data it freezes halfway through. I have a Pioneer 105 burner and have tried about many different types of media including Princo White tops, maxell, Memorex, Imation, Ritek, Pioneer, and a few others I don't know off the top of my head. One brand I havn't tried is Verbatim as I can't find a dvd-rw disk of this brand in town. The other game I am having problems with is The Getaway, it will get the playstaion 2 boot screen but it just hangs and keeps a black screen. I know that the ps2 has problems with games that use streaming data but has anyone had good success with either of these. I am playing the originals for now so it isn't too big of a problem but I know if my kids get ahold of the games they will be destroyed before you know it.

Thanks for all your help

Last edited: Feb 4, 2003
  2. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

abone9,

I had trouble with Vice City also. It would not boot using a Memorex DVD-R or Fujifilm DVD-R or TDK-RW but plays flawlessly on a Ritek 'Silver & Purple' high quality DVD-R from http://www.meritline.com It will also play on a Verbatim 'DataLifePlus' DVD-R as a friend of mine used that media.

I also put The Getaway on a Ritek and it plays great. I have a v4 ps2.

3. jhnbnblzd

jhnbnblzd Guest

i havee gta vice city on memorex dvd+r and all works fine. try copying at 1x the speed. it'll take a little longer but your games will be more stable

4. abone9

abone9 Member

Thanks for the Help,

I would like to use Verbatim DVD-R but it looks like they are pushing the +R format more. I cannot find anyone in town that sells them and the RW disks cost 4.99 but have 7 bucks in shipping charges. I bought a demo pack of dvd-r's from www.allmediaoutlet.com but so far my riteks have failed. I am afraid to try some of the others so I don't waste all of the disks. I should have gotten the RW demo pack. :) Oh well. Thanks again!

5. menmaddi

menmaddi Regular member

6. bodul67

bodul67 Regular member

Abone9,
    I have PS2 V4 with Magic3 - Vice works great on Verbatim DVD-R. Copied using Pioneer 105 DVD/CD Burner also using Nero. Burn all disks at 1X speed, a little long (about 45-60 mins)but worth it! Good Luck.